MS Excel

ahajv4life

Sorry, I just copy/pasted this from my answers.yahoo board....

I need a list/drop list, but I haven't been able to find the answer.
say in my first column, it goes down 100 rows, and in those rows are numbers 1-10 randomly. I need to make drop down list(?) at the top of the column that I can select any of those 1-10 numbers, and by doing so, will bring up only the rows that have the selected number.

Say I click the drop list, and click number 5. Then, only the rows that have the number 5 are show, until I click on the drop list again, and pick another number (we will say 3), and then only the rows with the number 3 are shown.

Ideas

Additional Details

3 minutes ago
Also, if in the list, nothing is selected, then all the row, regardless of what is in them, shows up.

patrickv

hmmm,been extremely long while since i build excel DB's, you sure you need excel for this ? as access can do this for you and easier.
for the drop down you can use "look-up" or a "combo box", so that when ITEM1 is selected, only details on ITEM1 will be shown !!

cosine4

Excel is the correct tool for this, it is a very simple built in feature.

Highlight the row that you want your drop down menus on. From the Data Menu select Filter -> AutoFilter. That is all there is to it.

cohen

i know what you are talking about what version of Office do you have 2007, 2003, 97 to 2003????

Trizoy

VIP Member
i know what you are talking about what version of Office do you have 2007, 2003, 97 to 2003????

Highlight the row that you want your drop down menus on. From the Data Menu select Filter -> AutoFilter. That is all there is to it.

As Cosine said, that works in all versions.

ahajv4life

Ok, Autofilter is what I am talking about. I tried it on the 03 (?) Office edition, and it's exactly what I want. I have2007Office on my computer, and when doing it, the list isn't a list;
Attached is what happens when I click on the arrow. I just want to be able to click the arrow, and have all the information pop up, and not deal with what I'm seeing. Thanks for the help. The second picture is what I'm looking for.....

Attachments

• List.jpg
    List.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 29
  • What I want.jpg
    What I want.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

cohen

As Cosine said, that works in all versions.

See - it depends one what office you have on how to explain it.

Go:
1. - Highlight Cells
2. - Click on Data
3. - The Click filter

Bingo and done.

ahajv4life

I did just that, and if you look at my last post, the picture on the right is what happens. what I'm looking for is the result of what happens in 2003 office, in the right picture. In the 2007office, it's too cluttered, and not what I need, I don't need all the options, I just need my data. Ideas?