MSI HD4890 dumb problem...

wooxie2

Hey, thanks for visiting the thread,

So I have MSI R4890 Cyclone graphics card, which is about 1.5 years old. I have this one problem: I shaked my pc, and suddently my GPU fan rise from idle RPM, to max rpm. I didn't knew what to do, but then i noticed, that GPU - Z shows some interesting stuff. It says that GPU temperature is at -163 C. Also it says that Fan is at 20%, but RPM says 3900 RPM... So what the hell? What could shaking done inside pc? Why did it suddently rised to max rpm's? I don't know, can my fan broke down, when its on that rpm?

Thank you,

Regards. :)

wooxie2

Well lets start by telling us,Why you shaked your pc. ? :D

Yeah.. This is what should i have started with. I shaked it because I got annoyed with it's lags... My pc has some more problems ( <-- Whitch is unsolvable), so i just shaked it. I realy got mad..

What should I do? How should i fix this? I am almost deaf by now... :)

I hope the fan wont burn, or somethink because of 100% all the time?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shaking the pc wont solve lag problems hehe,What other problems are you having?

Are you able to control the speed of your graphics card fan in Catalyst control centre?

If not download and try Msi Afterburner.

I use to have a 4890,Very good card.

wooxie2

Nope, i can't control... For me it looks like it's sensors for temp and RPM's got crazy, sensors get the fake 127C and fan rises ITs rpms to cool down to normal temp...

StrangleHold

Staff member
LOL, is this a joke thread. Because its funny. My dogs legs annoyed me, so I kicked him in the head. Now he doesnt act right. What could be wrong.

Probably need to open it up and make sure everything is not loose.

wooxie2

This is NOT a joke... :/ . It happened for real, and im starting to get out of my mind, of that sound.. Can anyone please help me? Could it be that when i shaked my case the heatsink disbalanced and got my fan go max?

_____
EDIT:

Anything you find wrong?

Last edited:

iurytx

Have you tried re-seating the video card? It could also be a cable hitting the fan.
This thread is kinda funny though.

wooxie2

Believe me, it is not even close to funny for me... No, i didn't tried re-seating, because i am afraid to make things even worse... I can't see anything hitting the fan.. What if I leave the pc until tommorow? Any chance that it will cool down?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Make sure all you connectors are plugged in good. Clean the dust off the back of the video card and make sure its fan isn't clogged up. The fins behind the CPU fan look like they need to be cleaned out. And get your wire management under control.

Last edited:

Benny Boy

Does that HS look crooked? Looks crooked to me.

Have you looked around and listened for where the noise is comming from with the panel off.

wooxie2

I cleaned the dust in all my computer. I tried to slow down the fan a bit with fingers, the noise reduced, so its definately the fan. Can you explain me what is HS :)

I think the connectors are good, but i could be wrong, and the fan is not clogged, just cleaned it out. :) Could it be that heatisnk is not at the right position?

By the way, actually i did not shake it... I just turned it aside ( maybe that means something... ) :)

Last edited:

Benny Boy

The HS-Heat Sink, keeps the processor cool. It's important, as well as the rest, to keep that clean so air can pass thru it easily. Take the fan off to clean both. It isn't hard to do, just make sure there's no power connected to the wall. It's the aluminum part that the black bladed Scythe fan is mounted to. Gently, see if it moves at all-in any direction, if it does,,,,do what you have to do to get those wires out of the way-and look for the reason it's loose. Perhaps post a pic of the reason.

wooxie2

CCC:

Card temp is at 127 C
Activity is allways at 0, even if I launch any game
Fan setting slider is at 20%, but sensor says that it is at 0%, GPU - Z says that it is on 3.9k - 4k RPM's ...

StrangleHold

Staff member
Uncheck AMD overdrive if your not overclocking and see what happens. If your fan
is running at 4000rpm it cant be at 127c. If its really at 127c then the 0 on fan speed make sense.

wooxie2

Uchecket the box, And nothing happened at all. I don't think that the card is at 127c, cuz GPU - Z shows -163C, also i think because of that the card would be smoking, or emitting a bad smell, or something?

Question: If my pc turned on long time, and rpms at max, won't it burn, or something? I am a bit afraid :)

Last edited: