Multi-Threaded Super-Pi Contest

87dtna

So it's just sinking in that I got my arse handed to me by a netbook. I thought it was funny at first, but now....I think I need to get my laptop running again!

The Intel Atom processors don't have very much processing power. The old Celeron processors are very slow. If you have a Windows installation disk you could build yourself a decent desktop system with an Athlon II Dual-Core Processor for around $350. That would be a huge upgrade from your present technology.

Or if he wants to stay with intel the new wolfdale core celeron E3200 is excellent bang for the buck. Even cheaper than the Athlon II's, overclocks better, and it's just faster in general clock for clock.
I got my E3200 to 4.2ghz. My Athlon II 245 topped out at 3.8ghz, I might have gotten 3.9 I can't remember. But I could not get 4ghz out of it no matter what...on air anyway.

2048Megabytes

The Celeron E3200 Wolfdale Dual-Core is a good processor. My biggest issue with Intel is their heatsinks. If he were to buy the following wouldn't he have to also have to sink around $27 into a decent heatsink? The heatsinks Intel provides with their processors are garbage.

Intel Celeron E3200 Wolfdale Dual-Core (2.4 gigahertz) Processor - $53
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=celeron_processor-_-19-116-265-_-Product

Dynatron P985 92 millimeter Ball CPU Cooler - $27 with shipping costs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114073

2048Megabytes

7750Y-CruncherMarks.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Jet never posted the marks of my now fried Athlon 7750+ Dual-Core at stock 2.7 gigahertz speed on the 32M.

87dtna

The Celeron E3200 Wolfdale Dual-Core is a good processor. My biggest issue with Intel is their heatsinks. If he were to buy the following wouldn't he have to also have to sink around $27 into a decent heatsink? The heatsinks Intel provides with their processors are garbage.

Intel Celeron E3200 Wolfdale Dual-Core (2.4 gigahertz) Processor - $53
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=celeron_processor-_-19-116-265-_-Product

Dynatron P985 92 millimeter Ball CPU Cooler - $27 with shipping costs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114073

Nah the E3200 runs cool. I got 3.4ghz on stock voltage stable, never cracked 60c core temp with the stock all aluminum garbage cooler.

And if I were to recommend a HSF for around $30 it would be the freezer pro.

Drenlin

I'm actually looking at a core i3 setup at the moment. All depends on funds though. My laptop is an xps m1210, so i'll be good for a while if i can get it working.

2048Megabytes

I'm actually looking at a core i3 setup at the moment. All depends on funds though.

You may also want to compare these high performance AMD processors against the $125 Intel Core i3 530 Dual-Core.

Phenom II 550 Dual-Core (3.1 gigahertz) Processor - $99

Phenom II 720 Tri-Core (2.8 gigahertz) Processor - $129

Phenom II 925 Quad-Core (2.8 gigahertz) Processor - $141

Sam_VDC

@linkin93
You could probably be stable with 1.392v underload shown in CPU-Z. So, you could try to lower it a notch or two in bios.

linkin

VIP Member
it's not prime95 stable, and sometimes 1.4v drops to 1.33v! damn this vdroop. probably why i can't hit 4ghz. CPU-Z report a wrong voltage anyway. it's 1.4v exaclt in the bios, not 1.408v.

linkin

VIP Member
wow, that's it? what does it mean by #2 pencil? i have a graphite drawing pencil here if that will work.

87dtna

Any local convience store should have a #2 pencil for less than a dollar, probably a pack of 5 or something.

Sam_VDC

wow, that's it? what does it mean by #2 pencil? i have a graphite drawing pencil here if that will work.

I suppose that will do. BUT, #2 pencils are abundant. Looking on the pencil...most has an indication of #2......#2 pencil has lead...try to use that.

87dtna

Sorry 87dtna, my new speed 32M = 10.462s

i5-750 21*210 BCLK = 4410MHz

t8szz4.jpg

Haha, thats ok. I think it's my motherboard thats holding me back most. It will not go above 206 BCLK no matter what pretty much.

What voltages are you running for that overclock?

Sam_VDC

1.55625v...along with 1.37v QPI/VTT...timing was loosen on the rams as well.

It could use less Vcore...but I didn't try since it is just for a suicide run. :)

poke349

I'm just wondering if anyone has been playing around enough to know.

How well does the program respond to different memory timings?

I know that memory timings are a huge factor for SuperPi. So I'm just wondering if that's also the case for y-cruncher.