Multiple monitors- new windows will not open

bopper

This is an issue with a specific program I use at work (Sage). The program opens fine, but when I open another window inside that application (or opening a third), It opens the window on a non-existent monitor. It happens consistently when I disconnect external monitors (take my laptop home). Sometimes it happens when external monitors are plugged in. I have to open the laptop or unplug then replug monitors to get the window to appear. When I hover over the tab at the bottom, I see there''s an aditional window open, but I cannot get it to pop up on a display. This is apparently a known issue with the program, but there's no fix for it (so I'm told). Is there a way to force Windows to open new windows on the screen that the cursor is currently on?

One fix that I've found that works occasionally is to get the window open, open the laptop, drag the window to the laptop screen, disconect external monitors. This works maybe 50% of the time, but once the problem returns, I have to plug back into my monitors.

bopper

It's been a while, but I figured I'd post the solution I came up with. I've found that the computer is opening the window on the non-existent second or third screen. I right click the icon at the bottom and click "move." That puts the cursor on the upper tab of the window. I click/hold and move the cursor around till the window pops up on the monitor.

Couriant

Is the 'non-existent monitor' the "main display" when you are in your office? Do you also have a docking station/external monitor at home? If so, it may be confused when the monitor layout is changed. I assume you do not shut down the computer when you disconnect it?

Anyways, consider making your laptop screen the main display and see if that helps.

1711388783668.png

bopper

I've tried several combinations of "main display" and that doesn't seem to affect things. I have my computer closed at work so no laptop monitor there. I usually shut down any time I leave, so it should be starting fresh each time. I just traded my j5create dock for a matching Lenovo dock, so maybe that'll help.

Couriant

If the new dock does not work, before leaving work, open the laptop screen to have it shown in the list, then make it the main display and see if that helps. If it does, then I suspect Windows is not controlling the screens properly. If it doesn't then most likely its an app issue but I rarely see issues like that.

I assume you are on Windows 10?

bopper

Win 11, but it happened on 10 too. IT said the computer wasn't recognizing the j5 dock like it should, so will see if the problem persists with he new dock.

bopper

OK, that would make sense. Would be interested to hear if the lenovo dock works for you!
My office setup: 4k monitor plugged directly into laptop via HDMI. Hub plugged into USBC for charging and 1080p monitor. Laptop's USBC can't support both monitors and forces the 1080p monitor to like 300x400 resolution when both are hooked up.

A little update. It works *almost* perfectly so far. When plugging back in at the office, it has trouble identifying both monitors. It's also picky about which USBC port the hub plugs in to. I have to plug it into a faster port that isn't the one designated as the charging port (but it still charges).