Multiple Routers Together Question

Da Mail Man

Greetings All....

1)...I have a Linksys router (older b+g) in another part of my residence......

2)...That router via hard wired cable, goes to an 8-port switch in front of me.....
3)....I need "N" protocol and so, have another Linksys "N" router on the table also.....(NOT able to switch them around yet!)...

4)....I have plugged that "N" router into an empty port on the 8-port switch....

5)....I opened a browser and entered the 10.100. etc etc etc into the browser to open the "N" router settings and it's not opening the "N" router.....

Whats up with that and solutions?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you assign an IP to it? What is the internal IP of your original linksys router? It should be 192.168.1.1 so you would assign internal IP of the N router to 192.168.1.2. Then all you would have to do is enter 192.168.1.2 and you would be able to access it from any computer on the network. Disable DHCP and NAT on the second router.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply!
Did you assign an IP to it?
No, but, would have to get it open to do that or, is that done with the "1st router"?

What is the internal IP of your original linksys router? It should be 192.168.1.1
Yes, I typed that in to open it, etc.

so you would assign internal IP of the N router to 192.168.1.2. Then all you would have to do is enter 192.168.1.2 and you would be able to access it from any computer on the network. Disable DHCP and NAT on the second router.
Ok....will attempt that tomorrow....THANK YOU.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You
Did you assign an IP to it?
No, but, would have to get it open to do that or, is that done with the "1st router"?
You connect your pc directly to the second router by typing in the internal ip address of that router. It can't be connected to the network until after you change the internal IP to match your network. I'm pretty sure I linked you to the process in one of your threads you made in the last couple months.

Da Mail Man

I must be doing something incorrectly....Using a DIFFERENT computer not connected in any way to the network;

1)
....got into the router,

2)...saw entry on a page "network setup",

3)...automatic configuration - DHCP,

4)...hit the drop-down arrow and selected "static ip" (as only other listed),

5)....box opened up with:

A)...static ip address saying 10.100.1.1
B)...subnet mask saying 255.255.255.0
C)...default gateway 10.100.1.1

I changed the "static" to 192.168.1.2
I left subnet mask alone
I left the default gateway at 10.100.1.1

THEN, hit "save settings" and got an error message saying; "The IP address and gateway are not in the same subnet mask"....

I STOPPED RIGHT THERE....

beers

Staff member
Why leave the gateway at 10.100.1.1? That's an unreachable address from the network you defined hence the error.

Also I'd make sure this is on the LAN interface instead of the WAN interface so you avoid double NAT.

beers

Staff member
Your other router, 192.168.1.1, although it shouldn't really need one since you're just bridging traffic as an AP. Also make sure you're doing it on the LAN side, the router has two addresses. You get the error since if you assigned that IP the gateway isn't on that same subnet when you compare the address against the mask. Masks limit the addressing space of a given subnet.

Da Mail Man

I meant as to what should be written in the "gateway" box?......

So far I;

1)....have changed the dhcp to "static",
2)....assigned an ip of 192.168.1.2 (as directed)
3)....assigned default gateway and have entered 192.168.1.1
4).....when I hit "save", a bar graph of sorts indicates being saved and entire page, when through, goes back to browser....

In the browser address line, I typed in 192.168.1.1 (enter), and it does not take me back to router page....
Changing the last digit to "2" (192.168.1.2 (enter), same thing/results....
Frustrated, typed in 10.100.1.1 (enter), and get crapola which I figured I would get anyway....

**And I am stalled and cannot get back into router page unless I do a hard reset...... at the default gateway entry where...

Last edited:

Couriant

You did not specify how you got the router (as in purchased new, on ebay, one lying around etc) nor did you say which router you have. It's been a long time since I touched a Linksys, but I don't think you should be assigning an gateway, that sounds more like for the connection to the modem/ISP. But without screenshots, I cannot say

I would say factory reset the second router so you can gain access to the GUI. Then here are some instructions that should help you, but you may need some configuring on the main router:

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port (in your case the switch) to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router.If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

Da Mail Man

**CAPS ARE NOT YELLING AND ONLY SERVE TO SEGREGATE PORTIONS OF THE CONVERSATION**

You did not specify how you got the router (as in purchased new, on ebay, one lying around etc)
NOBODY ASKED ME AND IF THEY DID, I WOULD QUESTION AS TO THE DIFFERENCE.

nor did you say which router you have.
LINKSYS...YA NEED THE MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER?...I BELIEVE IT IS A QUESTION OF INPUTTING THE CORRECT "NUMBERS" IN CORRECT BOXES.

It's been a long time since I touched a Linksys, but I don't think you should be assigning an gateway, that sounds more like for the connection to the modem/ISP. But without screenshots, I cannot say
WHAT I WAS ATTEMPTING TO DO WAS, ADD A SECOND ROUTER WHICH IS AN "N"...THE MAIN ROUTER IS A "B" AND "G"...NO, I WILL NOT ROTATE OR SWITCH THEN AROUND.

I would say factory reset the second router so you can gain access to the GUI.
HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT WHEN MAKING FIRST ATTEMPT

Then here are some instructions that should help you, but you may need some configuring on the main router:

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.
Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.
Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.
Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.
Connect from the primary router's LAN port (in your case the switch) to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router.If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!
WILL MAKE ANOTHER ATTEMPT AT THIS IN A FEW DAYS AS A HIGHER PRIORITY PROJECT HAS ARISEN.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

Couriant

Well considering you used bold to segregate the question from answer, that's really all you needed in the last post and caps weren't necessary ;) :D Or use the quote boxes... :)

Anyways: Why would it make a difference? Well buying new would mean at the basic level, it should have the standard setup. If it was used, it may have not been factory reset and had old configurations.

As to the make and model, I thought I made it clear why: Without seeing the configuration pages, it will be hard to guide you and having that info would help find said configuration pages as well as the default information. I also did not say to swap the routers around, how you set it up is how it will be.

If a factory reset did not get you into the GUI, then something is wrong with the router, or you have the wrong IP address info. When resetting to default, you should have been able to connect a computer to the affected router in the LAN port, and you should have gotten an IPv4 address and gateway information. From that, you use the gateway IP address to access the router.

We ask questions because we are not psychic (though in the IT / Desktop Support role, I wish we were) so we depend on users being as detailed as possible. Being vague doesn't help us help you to troubleshoot. :)

Da Mail Man

Well considering you used bold to segregate the question from answer, that's really all you needed in the last post and caps weren't necessary ;) :D Or use the quote boxes... :)
IT WORKS AND IS WORKING FOR ME....

Anyways: Why would it make a difference? Well buying new would mean at the basic level, it should have the standard setup. If it was used, it may have not been factory reset and had old configurations.
AS I SAID, I RESET EVERYTHING TO FACTORY.

As to the make and model, I thought I made it clear why: Without seeing the configuration pages, it will be hard to guide you and having that info would help find said configuration pages as well as the default information.
IT IS AN ISSUE OF THE IP ADDRESSES, ETC SETTINGS...

I also did not say to swap the routers around, how you set it up is how it will be.
THAT'S CORRECT, I DID NOT, JUST HEADING OFF A PERCEIVED FUTURE QUESTION,

If a factory reset did not get you into the GUI, then something is wrong with the router, or you have the wrong IP address info.
RESETTING IT DID GET ME INTO THE FACTORY SETTINGS AND PAGE

When resetting to default, you should have been able to connect a computer to the affected router in the LAN port,
------AND I DID

and you should have gotten an IPv4 address and gateway information.
I DID...I BELIEVE I "MIS-SET" SOMETHING

From that, you use the gateway IP address to access the router.
I KNOW

We ask questions because we are not psychic (though in the IT / Desktop Support role, I wish we were) so we depend on users being as detailed as possible. Being vague doesn't help us help you to troubleshoot.
IMO, I WAS NOT VAGUE

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
This is quite the saga for something simple, you don’t even really need a gateway value on that second router for LAN clients since it’s just passing data at the Ethernet layer.

Just assign it an ip like you would a computer in the same subnet

Couriant

While I would favour a simple task Beers, but having two devices running DHCP can and will cause issues down the line. Using a secondary router as essentially a WAP for the needs this is requesting would eliminate the second DHCP. :)

But regardless, since the information requested is not provided, then I see no sense in carrying on providing shot in the dark suggestions instead of sound directions when we know what devices are in play.