Multiple startups

bbudesa

i shut down desktop as house was being recarpeted.

When I got all put back together, it would lock up when starting. I'd shut it down by pushing switch, not by using normal shutdown procedure (it wouldn't let me), and fire it up again. Same thing, desktop appears, cursor moves, but no response when trying to open programs.

Any ideas?

_Pete_

Did you move the computer? The only thing that I can think of, other than a fault having occured, is that the TAM has come unseated slightly. If you are okay with going inside the box then remove the side and take each ram module out in turn and ensure that it is properly seated in it's slot. Whilst you are in there push any other cards down into their slots to ensure that they are all seated properly.

bbudesa

That's what I assumed.

Didn't seem to help.

Desktop comes up, mouse moves, no taskbar or programs items can be started.

bbudesa

I can't open anything to run a chkdsk command. I can't open a single thing!

Desktop comes up with icons, then just sits there.

I can't even shut it down properly, I have to pull the plug!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not checkdisk, use hirens boot cd to run the specific diagnostic depending on which brand drive you have.

beers

Staff member
Make sure your ram is set correctly for speed/timings/voltage and upgrade to the latest motherboard bios.

bbudesa

I just let it run last night, and when I got up this morning, all was good.

Don't know what happened overnight, but the computer fairies must have worked overtime.

I still don't get it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you try rebooting to see if worked correctly? Anytime you just press the power button to shut it off, you take a high chance on creating errors on the hard drive cause it wasn't shut down properly. I still would run the drive diagnostic utility you still may have errors that need to be repaired, something checkdisk won't even detect.

bbudesa

Well, back to square one. Computer is not functioning again. Sometimes desktop comes up, sometimes not. If it does, programs take 30 minutes to load, if at all. Not able to access anything.

bbudesa

Sorry John - didn't mean to blow off your suggestion for help. I was pressed for time, and just took it in to have someone else diagnose. HDD was good, but super slow. Problem was in Windows. I had them install a SST drive, fix the Windows problem, and voila! Faster than a Trump tweet now!

thanks