My £150 card from 6 years ago has an equivalent that costs roughly the same now..

beers

Staff member
Prices are on their way back down but they're still inflated. For the last few months people have been selling multi-year old cards for more than they paid new.

What card are we talking about?
AH it was gtx 960 and 1050ti. was about the same price. and capacity on every big site in my country. I would have thought that in 5-6 years the same price would get me double the performance now? I'm pulling stats out of my ass, but am curious to know how close I am, I thught gpus were progressing at that speed generally performancewise?

I upgrade every decade, but like to vaguely know stuff , thanks. :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is very little Performance difference between those 2 cards. You just have to understand the issue with gpu pricing right now.

In 5 years how much more performance should gpus give for the same pricepoint in general though? Ignoring prices atm, actually prices altogether. double triple performance in 5 years about right normally?

Have we been slowing down even before coivd?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I went from an R9 380 to an RX 580 and there was a big performance increase. It was $219 for the 380 in 2015 and $219 for the RX 580 in 2019 but this was back before prices were inflated. I bought both from Newegg and just checked my invoices.

Darren

Staff member
You can find a lot of debates about that online but we are getting to the point we can't shrink die size a whole lot more, which is one of the primary places that increased performance comes from with smaller die sizes.

At the same time I feel like the leaps and bounds both in software/games and hardware are slowing down and you can get more mileage than you could a decade ago out of a single piece of hardware.

You can find a lot of debates about that online but we are getting to the point we can't shrink die size a whole lot more, which is one of the primary places that increased performance comes from with smaller die sizes.

At the same time I feel like the leaps and bounds both in software/games and hardware are slowing down and you can get more mileage than you could a decade ago out of a single piece of hardware.
Will be fascinating to see what extra perks/value they add with more expensive purchases in the future to compensate. I will practice my google foo now some.