My 2 cents

speedyink

VIP Member
Enough said, although I dont think computers suck, I quite like them actually. :)

Haha, that's good. Quite true as well. Both Macs and PC's crash, it's a computer thing, not a specific brand thing.

Basically at my house I have the PC's for the hard work such as games, and Macs for the not so hard work (Video streaming, and I have an old iMac G4 I use as a digital picture frame)

Reasons for this are it's way too much $ to get a well specced Mac, so when I can do everything I want on my PC for way less money it's a no brainer. I bought my desktop for $700 3 or 4 years ago and it's still my main machine, hell I've been playing Skyrim on it lately

However someone buying a computer and thinking of it as more of a home accessory I can totally see buying a Mac, as my G4 does look nice as a photo frame :p

PohTayToez

I think a good example of the limitations of Mac can be seen with a recent customer I had. She brought in an iMac G5 which was pretty much done for, and decided that she wanted a completely new setup. After a discussion we determined that she definitely wanted a new Mac, but specs weren't much of an issue because her needs are basic, but she is older and her sight was going so we decided to try and get her the biggest screen available.

Well, the iMacs start at $1200 for a 21", which was bigger than her old one but she still thought she might want to go bigger for the screen. The only problem is the next size up in iMac starts at $1700. The other option was a Mac Mini, but the same size Apple display was $1000 by itself, which wasn't really any better. In the end we went with a Mac Mini and a 27" 3rd party monitor for less than the cheapest iMac.

The point is that because Apple didn't have a great solution for what she needed because they try and pigeonhole their customers to a narrow range of products.

paulcheung

I got a kick out of how the OP (who has been in "IT" for 10 years) compares a 500gb HDD to a 64gb SSD...

What is so wrong with that? You don't really want a 64gb SSD in a single drive system. It will filled in no time! It only show it's benefit when you also have a large storage drive along with it.
Cheers.

DMGrier

VIP Member
For one you cannot compare the SSD because that is in a Macbook Pro which is only comparable to the new ultra books.

The real answer is a PC like my Vaio running Ubuntu, get low cost computer and if you buy a better quality brand you get the reliability with the security, low resource use and multi-tasking capability that Windows comes close too but does not succeed.