My 8-pin connector prevents PC from boot up

Sheikdaddy

Hi, i have an ASUS GTX 1060 ROG STRIX installed in my computer and it has been running fine now no problem for a long time, recently i changed my cables to red sleeved and my PC wouldnt boot and no light would appear on the GPU. So i revert back to the original cables, still the same problem, i tested every component in my computer and it all booted up fine when the GPU either wasn't installed or the 8-pin connectors were unplugged. It's worth noting that a red light appears on the GPU when it is plugged into mobo with no 8-pin connector, this light appears when there is no power in the PC and i have reinstalled it into the mobo, then with the light still appearing on, i plugged my 8-pin connector in and the light turned white, which means that its working. I booted it up and it's now working fine, but as soon as the power is gone from the computer, I have to restart the whole process. It is also worth noting that when the GPU is installed in mobo and 8-PIN are INSTALLED with NO RED OR WHITE LIGHT appearing, the PSU makes a high pitch ticking sound. The sound also arises when the sound card is installed. Could this be my Mobo? CAn it be my sockects? Can it be my PSU? Can it be my GPU? So bottom line is :installed new cables, PC didn't boot, reverted cables, still didn't boot, tested everything and problem surfaced from PCI and PCI-E, re installation of GPU brings red light back, turn off the PSU then plug in 8-pin connectors cause light to go away and ticking sound comes. At the moment i am using my PC, there are some minor issues happening and sound card is working the as it was previously. If i can get an opinion on this it would be greatly appreciated.
My specs:
MOBO: ASRock B85M Pro3
CPU: Intel i-7 4790 3.60GHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 ROG 6 GBSTRIX
RAM: 32 GB DDR3
PSU: Cooler Master CM Storm GX650 650W 80+ Bronze

Sheikdaddy

not very old, i would say 5 or 6 months, but I'm using the computer right now with no problem, its only when i switch it off it doesn't receive power and PSU clicks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would change out the psu first thing. Thats not a good sign if its clicking.