My $800 budget gaming pc.. please help!

Adam Murray

Yeah I know that the P5W DH DELUXE mobo will overclock well, but it is $100 more than the mobo I have picked out..

prodigio2k, all your parts combined are more expensive than my parts.. I would say that your video card is better of course, but the duo core2's are hot stuff right now and would most likely out perform the 3800+.. but then again my processor is about $50 more than yours.

Well what ram would you guys recommend for about $150??

prodigio2k

thats my biggest concern,im a big AMD fan boy,lol, and going intel its just not for me, so it will crush me to buy a slower computer for the same price, is it really "WORTH" the gain to change to intel, im not one of those geeks that look at numbers,i like looking at "feel" perfomance better. i hope i dont offend no one. ,just educate me,lol

Adam Murray

I'm more of an AMD fan as well, but read through this thread and you may be leaning more towards intel's core2 duo processors like I am.. I really wanted some helpful advice about whether or not my parts are good enough to do some overclocking and what ram I should consider. Anyone?

JG30

prodigio2k said:
thats my biggest concern,im a big AMD fan boy,lol, and going intel its just not for me, so it will crush me to buy a slower computer for the same price, is it really "WORTH" the gain to change to intel, im not one of those geeks that look at numbers,i like looking at "feel" perfomance better. i hope i dont offend no one. ,just educate me,lol

It's ok to like AMD but realize that Intel has always been the leader in new technology way before AMD ever existed. Loyalty to a company that charges 1k for a processor that performs like ass compared to todays standards!?!? Just remember they are all big companies. Do you think they care about you? So why be loyal to them.

But I think people should realize what intel has done for the world now and in the past. Why people hate on Intel is beyond me. They always have lead the market except for gamers for the last 5-10 years. But that was never there main focus. Intel has now wised up and is taking gamers back. Intel will be the dominate force for the next 10+ years. After that your going to see another evaluation just like people are seeing now. And my guess Intel will be at the top again because they are just that damn good.

PS: Just for the record I hate fanboys...all of you! :p

bball4life

JG30 said:
PS: Just for the record I hate fanboys...all of you! :p
Ok intel fanboy...
Honestly I prefer, or rather preferred amd, but for a reason, they produced better chips for less. Now with conroe performance to price intel has the upper hand, but their conroe chips are anything but cheap. So amd still has the better lower end processors which most people are gonna buy, I know I am not going to spend $500 on a cpu, I would rather go with a mid-high range x2 for under $200 even over the cheapo conroe, but thats partly because it wouldn't mean a complete rebuild.

As for overclocking your parts should be fine, don't know how well pqi overclocks but its already ddr2 800 so its already crazy fast. As for the mobo its fine, the 975 chipset does overclock slightly better yes, but core 2's overclock almsot freakishly well, or they are supposed to, so a semi-decent overclocking board will still get you some decently high clocks compared to stock.

SC7

prodigio2k said:
The Conroe (Core 2 Duo), is winning in almost every performance department. You shouldn't stay dedicated to one side or the other, you should always go for what gets you more performance where you need it per dollar. Fanboys who stick to one side or the other only hurt themselves. It's ok to go to Intel, they have the lead.

bball4life

SC7 said:
The Conroe (Core 2 Duo), is winning in almost every performance department. You shouldn't stay dedicated to one side or the other, you should always go for what gets you more performance where you need it per dollar. Fanboys who stick to one side or the other only hurt themselves. It's ok to go to Intel, they have the lead.
Exactly, now if you are on a tight budget amd is still the way to go, because you can get the most performance per dollar for under $200, while above like $300 its pretty much conroe from there on up. Between those its really kind of a toss up.

bball4life

Adam Murray said:
The E6300 conroe is about $210.. so it's really not too much more in cost.
I know but you can also get a 4200+ x2 for under $200 and there aren't really any benchmarks comparing the two so no one really knows which performs better.

Bobo

banned
bball4life said:
I know but you can also get a 4200+ x2 for under $200 and there aren't really any benchmarks comparing the two so no one really knows which performs better.
I bet you $20 that the Conroe is better :D

bball4life

Bobo said:
I bet you $20 that the Conroe is better :D
ok... Well if you think about it, its a higher end amd dual core vs a low end intel dual core. Just because the higher end core 2's perform amazingly well, doesn't mean that the lower end one will.

Bobo

banned
The 4200 is closer to low end than to high end. The Conroe will still beat it in mostly everything.

Ku-sama

banned
lol, the mid range E6400 is just about on par with THE BEST AMD processor (FX-62) and the MUCH lower priced E6600 still crushes the FX-62... at like $350 less..

bball4life

Bobo said:
The 4200 is closer to low end than to high end. The Conroe will still beat it in mostly everything.
Ok its midrange, but you cant say conroe will beat it... Who cares anyway they are both great cpu's for about $200.:p
Ku-sama said:
lol, the mid range E6400 is just about on par with THE BEST AMD processor (FX-62) and the MUCH lower priced E6600 still crushes the FX-62... at like $350 less..
Do you mean the e6400 is much lower priced then the e6600, cause it sounds like you are saying it the other way around.

Bobo

banned
bball4life said:
but you cant say conroe will beat it...
Oh yes I can, and I did, and I am right. :p

Do you mean the e6400 is much lower priced then the e6600, cause it sounds like you are saying it the other way around.
No, he means that the e6600 is lower priced than the FX-62, which it crushes

bball4life

We are getting way off track, the e6300 should oc a lot better then the 4200+ though, so for the most part its better, but there aren't any benchmarks proving it, and sometimes parts should perform better then another but when it comes down to testing they just don't perform like the specs make it seem. You might as well just go with the e6400 if you are going conroe though, an almost 30 Mhz advantage for an extra $50, big performance difference between those two models.

Last edited:

JG30

bball4life said:
Ok intel fanboy...
Honestly I prefer, or rather preferred amd, but for a reason, they produced better chips for less. Now with conroe performance to price intel has the upper hand, but their conroe chips are anything but cheap. So amd still has the better lower end processors which most people are gonna buy, I know I am not going to spend $500 on a cpu, I would rather go with a mid-high range x2 for under $200 even over the cheapo conroe, but thats partly because it wouldn't mean a complete rebuild.

As for overclocking your parts should be fine, don't know how well pqi overclocks but its already ddr2 800 so its already crazy fast. As for the mobo its fine, the 975 chipset does overclock slightly better yes, but core 2's overclock almsot freakishly well, or they are supposed to, so a semi-decent overclocking board will still get you some decently high clocks compared to stock.

Um I'm no fanboy. Is there such thing as being an Intel fanboy? I've never meet one. Seems like everyone always hates on the big guy and likes the underdog better. maybe intel should just suck for the next 20 years and get close to backrupt and then come out with something good. People would probably have good things to say about them then.

Like I said being a fanboy is just stupid. Do what is best for you not some company.

But I'm still curious as to why people dislike Intel so much. I have never seen them do anything wrong to any one or trick anyone. Same goes for AMD. The only thing I can see is that gamers got pissy when Intel didn't make good gaming CPU's. Big deal. That wasn't the market they were going after. Intel made chips when computers were used for actual work! Not gaming. You can't fault them for that. And as we can all see they have revamped there system to get gamers back on the intel side. Pretty amazing business sense if you ask me.

The choice is obvious for those that aren't sitting around being fanboys. Intel is in the lead by a LOT. If AMD comes back and takes the crown away I'll be the first person to praise them for it. In the end I don't care who made the damn chip as long as it does what it is suppose to do!

bball4life

I have nothing wrong with intel, currently they have the better cpu's, except for under $150. Before core 2 though it was amd who was better, you got more speed and performance per dollar then intel. When I built my comp it was an amd 3700+ vs a p4 640 I believe it was, and the amd was just a better option, adn the fact its better for gaming. But now core 2 pretty much dominates all over, so can't tell you who I will go with when I build my next comp it will just depend on what is out at the time.