My Acer Motherboads

22left

Suddenly, my Acer Laptop, screen got very hot and the screen got very bright, then died. I brought it in for service and was told that the motherboard burned-out and would cost at least $200 to repair. Is it worth fixing or just discard? I used it about 3 years; is that average. ?

_Pete_

I don't think it's worth spending that sort of money on it. I usually change mine out every three or four years working or not to try to keep up with the technology.

beers

Staff member
Since it's pretty old you might as well roll that into a newer one.

You could take a crack at replacing it yourself if you can find an inexpensive board but those require a full teardown and it may have taken other components with it.

Darren

Staff member
Since it's pretty old you might as well roll that into a newer one.

You could take a crack at replacing it yourself if you can find an inexpensive board but those require a full teardown and it may have taken other components with it.
I've never seen a motherboard fry anything else on a lappy, although it is possible.

If it's an Acer and more than 2-3 years old I wouldn't bother. Their build quality has only become acceptable in the past couple years.

22left

Thanks. I will buy a new unit;sadly I fear all my photos & other info will be lost. Probably repairing the unit would delete all my stored info anyway.