My Allendale OverClock...

Rambo

I am currently overclocking my Allendale setup! :D I've boosted the clock frequency up an extra 65% of the original speed! It's at 2.86 Ghz right now, 1000 Mhz overclock.

Pictures will come when I am using broadband, I'm on dial-up at the minute. I haven't tried going any further yet. I think the settings are 408 FSB * 7. RAM is also being OCed from 667 Mhz to 816 Mhz :D

My northbridge heatsink is worrying me though :/ How hot are they supposed to get? It's doesn't burn me to the touch, but it is too painfull to have my hand on it for about 10 seconds... I have a feeling this is bad news for me...

Also, my RAM is at 2.0 Volts (stock @ 1.9), and feels warm to the touch. I'm pushing an extra 0.1 Volts through it. Do you think it'll get damaged easily at 2.0?

I'm using stock cooling for my CPU, which is reporting 34*C idle... :eek: I'm surprised by it, but even in the BIOS it's hanging around 37*C... I don't think I'll be needing an aftermarket HSF just yet...

I just hope I'm not pushing this motherboard too hard... I've overclocked the MCH (whatever that is :p) 0.3 Volts, to the max that it will go in the BIOS. CPU vCore is 1.375 I think...

What you guys think? Any advice?

thealmightyone

What does Speedfan tell you it's temp is?

A quick solution I used to use was jamming a 120mm fan between the cables and cd drive, and used the fan to blow air directly onto the northbridge.

Rambo

What does Speedfan tell you it's temp is?

A quick solution I used to use was jamming a 120mm fan between the cables and cd drive, and used the fan to blow air directly onto the northbridge.

Well, for the time being, the best I can do is leave the case door open, and blow on it every couple of minutes :p All my fans are at home, in England. Thanks for the suggestion. I may look into some aftermarket NorthBridge heatsinks.

Heya, nice OC. Squeezing 1000Mhz is already a respectable jump. We all know the new Intel CPUs OC very well but this is a pleasant thing to see. I take it you read this: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300_8.html

JAN :D

Thanks JAN. :) I hadn't read that article, but just that one page explained alot to me. What I don't understand is how people are getting 450 Mhz FSB clocks with their GA-965P-DS3 motherboards?!?!

Anyway, do you guys know what kind of temperature the NorthBridge is able to withstand before frying itself? I would hazard a guess and say it's burning up near 70 - 80*C at the minute.

Also, what do you think about my RAM? Is 2.0v going to impair it's life span?

Once again, thanks,

Rambo. :)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
heya

Rambo,

I think you will be safe with the chipset temp at 70C and below. If you can touch it but have to let go after a few seconds, it is most likely below 70 for sure. I know mine is @ 72 Celsius and I cannot hold my hand on it for more than a second!

Now as to the RAM, the extra + 0.1V should be just fine. You are safe. I have a +0.2 on mine and it's running as smooth as it should. Obviously RAM heats up but it can withstand a mere increase of 0.1V easily.

Rambo

Rambo,

I think you will be safe with the chipset temp at 70C and below. If you can touch it but have to let go after a few seconds, it is most likely below 70 for sure. I know mine is @ 72 Celsius and I cannot hold my hand on it for more than a second!

Now as to the RAM, the extra + 0.1V should be just fine. You are safe. I have a +0.2 on mine and it's running as smooth as it should. Obviously RAM heats up but it can withstand a mere increase of 0.1V easily.

Ahh, good good. :)

I'll report back later then, with more OCing results! Thanks JAN ;)

fade2green514

yea on overclock.net people are reporting speeds of 3.4ghz and upward even... thats a nice proc dude... thats why im getting either that or the e6400.
btw you can just buy a better northbridge cooler if you're daring enough... i duno i like doing fun stuff like that lol...
i wouldnt go too far with the ram though, overvolting ram can be dangerous since its where all the info is held. as long as its stable i dont think you should overvolt ANYTHING though... all it does is add heat, and in some cases stability but this proc ought to go to 3ghz fairly easily. dont overvolt the proc at all though, since you're running it with the stock cooling.

nice temps, and good luck overclocking! :D

Last edited:

wicked859

banned
Just wanting to say, Great overclock, we recently brought my friends cpu to 1.9 ghz, a 700 mhz jump, I would put a aftermarket fan on the northbridge, Now I dont have a overclock on my current setup, but we were modding the case a little bit and bought fans for the northbridge, hdd, another case fan etc, and before I put my new fan on the northbridge, It was very hot, I couldnt leave my hand there for more than a few seconds max, so I think that a lot of northbidges are very hot without any ocing, but just to be safe, I would put a fan just incase :D

Rambo

yea on overclock.net people are reporting speeds of 3.4ghz and upward even... thats a nice proc dude... thats why im getting either that or the e6400.
btw you can just buy a better northbridge cooler if you're daring enough... i duno i like doing fun stuff like that lol...
i wouldnt go too far with the ram though, overvolting ram can be dangerous since its where all the info is held. as long as its stable i dont think you should overvolt ANYTHING though... all it does is add heat, and in some cases stability but this proc ought to go to 3ghz fairly easily. dont overvolt the proc at all though, since you're running it with the stock cooling.

nice temps, and good luck overclocking! :D

Thanks :) But, you have to raise the vCore on the CPU if you want to OC it (especially since my goal is 3.0 Ghz). I might buy a northbridge cooler when I get back to England. I think I was just a little nervous about damaging it, since I have never dealt with a motherboard that has had such a hot NorthBridge. But now I know it's normal for it to be pretty hot, so I don't have to worry as much.

wicked589 said:
I put my new fan on the northbridge, It was very hot, I couldnt leave my hand there for more than a few seconds max, so I think that a lot of northbidges are very hot without any ocing, but just to be safe, I would put a fan just incase

Well, when I get back to England I'll place an 80mm fan around it somewhere, that'll cool it enough I think... :)

34erd

Congrats Rambo, I'm sure you can push it up to 3 Ghz :)

What you guys think? Any advice?
I think you'll be safe with a bit more voltage. I wouldn't go higher than 1.45 volts to start with though.

Also, I would lower your MCH voltage a bit... that may be the reason why your chipset is a bit hot, since MCH controls the voltage to the FSB. Although, that might lower your max FSB. To see what your max FSB is, lower your multiplier and RAM and clock it up... you can also do the same with your RAM and CPU, that way you eliminate other factors of your OC, and then you can combine all your known maxes together.

Are you limited by your FSB, or the chip its self right now?

Rambo

Congrats Rambo, I'm sure you can push it up to 3 Ghz :)

I think you'll be safe with a bit more voltage. I wouldn't go higher than 1.45 volts to start with though.

Also, I would lower your MCH voltage a bit... that may be the reason why your chipset is a bit hot, since MCH controls the voltage to the FSB. Although, that might lower your max FSB. To see what your max FSB is, lower your multiplier and RAM and clock it up... you can also do the same with your RAM and CPU, that way you eliminate other factors of your OC, and then you can combine all your known maxes together.

Are you limited by your FSB, or the chip its self right now?

I don't think I'm limited by anything yet. As I said this morning, I had to up the RAM to 2.0 Volts, but I think that will be enough. I'll see how far I can raise the FSB before I need to do anything else though.

[ULKER]

Rambo nice ;)

Are you runing E6300 or E6400? And are you runing P5B or P5B deluxe, or abit or gigabyte?
What Vcore are you runing? TELL ME MORE !

m0nk3ys1ms

[ULKER];408895 said:
Rambo nice ;)

Are you runing E6300 or E6400? And are you runing P5B or P5B deluxe, or abit or gigabyte?
What Vcore are you runing? TELL ME MORE !

His specs are in his signature;)

Rambo

[ULKER];409010 said:
Sorry, dind't see that X-]

But what Vcore, what load temperatures? TELL MORE!

Hehe lol... vCore is @ 1.38 right now... Temperatures are at 35*C idle :)

Oh, and by the way all:

I'm @ 3.05 Ghz!! OMGHAXXORZZ!!! :p

Here's a funny story when I visited Fry's Electronics today. I call it; "Pursuit of the NorthBridge Processor" :D

I walk into Fry's, go to where they have all their coolers (Heatsinks, fans, etc...) but I couldn't find a NorthBridge HeatSink. So I ask a guy to help me out, and he says I'll have to wait another 10 minutes since he's helping someone else at the minute. 15 Minutes later, I'm still standing, waiting... So I decided to go ask another guy, and he said to go back to where I was before and ask a sales assistant. Well, I asked a different guy this time, and I said:

"Could you show me where your NorthBridge coolers are?"

He replies:

"Now, remind me what processor is that again?"

"What? It isn't a processor. It's a cooling device, usually a heatsink, which is applied to the motherboard's chipset."

He eventually says to me he doesn't know what I'm talking about, and proceeds to ask someone else.

Well, to cut an already long story short, I never got what I wanted. Ahh well... :)

Last edited:

bebopin64

The nerdy kids at Fry's aren't that smart about computers usually, they are just greasy little kids with glasses.

34erd

Good job Rambo. That means your FSB is at 436 mhz? Not too shabby. Still, I wouldn't run the MCH at such a high voltage. I would lower it to + 0.2.

[ULKER]

Man i have Cooler Master Hyper 48, and it runs hot, 44.C at idle :confused: I think i placed too much thermal paste, or i placed the cooler wrong :rolleyes: . Im using Arctic Silver 5

Rambo

Good job Rambo. That means your FSB is at 436 mhz? Not too shabby. Still, I wouldn't run the MCH at such a high voltage. I would lower it to + 0.2.

Well, these people had to: http://www.maxitmag.com/maxit-reviews/motherboards/gigabyte-ga-965p-ds3-motherboard-review/2/

I'll give it a shot at + 2.0, and see what happens.

Oh, one thing I wanted to bring up was that I am having to overvolt the RAM to 2.1 Volts... I think it's running around 87X Mhz @ 4 4 4 12. Do you think that is going to hurt it?

[ULKER];409389 said:
Man i have Cooler Master Hyper 48, and it runs hot, 44.C at idle :confused: I think i placed too much thermal paste, or i placed the cooler wrong :rolleyes: . Im using Arctic Silver 5

Yeah, you must have. Otherwise that would mean my stock cooling is better than your Cooler Master :/

Geoff

VIP Member
Oh, one thing I wanted to bring up was that I am having to overvolt the RAM to 2.1 Volts... I think it's running around 87X Mhz @ 4 4 4 12. Do you think that is going to hurt it?
I wouldn't think so. Alot of fast DDR2-800 RAM runs at 2.1V stock.