my ati 1800xt won't display images

Timbo

I have an ati 1800xt which I bought about 5 months ago and it has been working pretty flawlessly in a brand new machine that I put together. But, about a week ago it stopped displaying images and lighting up the monitor. The fan still spins and power goes to everything inside the computer but no image is displayed. For some odd reason it seems that my motherboard has no slot to plug in the monitor to use onboard graphics, so I'm stuck. There are two red LEDs that turn on that I never noticed before. I lost the manual and have had no luck finding a manual online. The two red LEDs that light up are 1) D28 T_fault and 2) D27 ext_pwr. Does this mean that my powersupply went dead? I know it's not the monitor because i'm using it right now on a old computer. Help por favor!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Are you see or hearing other sounds when first powering up? If you see the drive lights on the drives go back and forth the system is booting normally. But the red leds lighting up could suggest a bad card as well. One idea would be to try a different supply if you can borrow one in case of a bad cap in the supply or a different card which sounds like problem. A failed supply however wouldn't provide enough to power the system while having just enough for some small case fans.

Timbo

I havent heard any beeps and no led problems that I can see. I was kinda leaning towards possibly having a bad card or powersupply before I came. So you reinforced those ideas for me.

Now here poses a problem: I don't have my box. Is it possible to still get a new card?

gamerman4

have you tried removing the graphics card and reseating it? Many times a simple reseat can fix things. Also you could try reseating the RAM too. Also, try seeing if a friend has a PCI-Ex gfx card you could try in your comp (I'm pretty sure they dont make an AGP x1800xt).

PC eye

banned
The X1800 series cards are strictly PCI-E there. One of the last ATI AGP models was the 9800 Pro. The lack of other then one single beep on powerup rules out bad memory, a dead cpu, and of course a totally useless video card in most cases. This also depends on the bios version you have. Is it an Award, Phoenix, AMI, or another?

The leds on a board usually point at a possible supply problem where you are simply not getting enough power to run more then a few small fans. A bad cap will see this for sure there. That's why the suggestion of borrowing another supply was made in regards to the red leds on the boards coming on. That sounds like the real problem since a bad card would sound a long and two short beeps when powering the case up. What make and model board?

Iluvpenguins

I had this problem,mine ended up being a burnt out cpu and mobo,nothing warranty couldn't fix.

If yu have been turning on and off your computer alot in a short amount of time,it will do this.
if you have unsufficient cooling,it will do this.
Possibly might of just been the mobo,or cpu.Or both..or maybe the graphic card.All I know is,something is dead.