My build is randomly freezing and only fixed by a hard reboot

Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 @3.2ghz 4 CPUs

Ram: G.SKILL NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-8GNT

MOBO: GIGABYTE LGA1151 Intel B150 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard, GA-B150M-DS3H PSU: CX-750m

GPU:MSI Radeon R9 290 DirectX 11.2 R9 290 4GD5 (V803) 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP

PSU: Corsair cx 750m

Running Windows 10

Now first thing I need to try is getting canned air to clean the gpu fan as its dusty.

My computer while playing games (sometimes even while browsing youtube/facebook) will freeze and it is a total freeze like I am just stuck at looking at what ever was on my monitor when it freezes and it will never unfreeze unless I restart my computer by using the power button. Because of this I can't check the gpu temps at the moment of the crash because I cant do anything.

The only thing I know about my gpu is that If I'm playing a game without turning my gpu fans up to a custom speed(3000-3400rpm) the gpu will hit 90+ degrees celsius

Just last night, I was looking at a gif of overwatch nothing intensive, no game running. And my PC locked up and froze so even now I'm not sure if it's an overheat problem.

Funny enough I feel like this crash always happens at the worst times especially when I'm playing League (which I doubt that league is a game that would be making my GPU overheat)

GPU Z stats https://imgur.com/4ABLDEx

I also dont think it is a GPU or CPU overheat problem. As I literally opened up 3 games, a hella lot of google tabs and youtube videos and tried to see if I can force a lock up nothing happened. Funny enough after I did the memtest the computer booted up, I started MSI afterburner just so I can have the overlay up while I go play some games and BOOM a lock up as soon as it opens.

The only things I had opened was google chrome and discord at that point.
The HDD light on my PC was not showing any activity once the lockup happened, and the fans were all still running. Here is a picture of my MSI burner as soon as it started up and my PC locked up.

lazy.png

https://imgur.com/a/MwHgp

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Too many different errors to pinpoint. Do the same errors repeat? How old is this build? Have you ran a diagnostic on the hard drive or memtest?

Too many different errors to pinpoint. Do the same errors repeat? How old is this build? Have you ran a diagnostic on the hard drive or memtest?
The oldest parts in my PC are the HDD,Case, and DVD drive at 6 years.
My Power Supply and Graphics card are 2 years old, although I think I bought the GPU used I can't remember but it was off Ebay so most likely.
Then my RAM,and MOBO at 1 year old

I have actually removed my GPU today, and have tried doing some light gaming on League of Legends just using my onboard. So far my computer hasn't crashed and yesterday I crashed 4 times once per match while playing the game so it does raise some suspicions.

I don't know if its important but I remember some one pointed out that in GPU Z it says my 12V rail is 11.75 but they were not sure and neither am I as am not well versed in what it means.

My only confusion then if its my GPU is, should I replace the GPU or the PSU..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
11.75 is still within limits of the psu. So your good. I would actually try a different video card first. That power supply has a 5 year warranty.