My computer design so far (cooling not yet decided)

mischa88

New Member
CPU: i7 930 (to be overclocked)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/193596
Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD7
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/187981
Cooling: CWCH50
RAM: Crucial 1GB DDR3 1333MHz x 3
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159922
Hard Drives: For Windows & Games: Intel X25-m Solid-state Drive, 80gb, Sata
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175723
For page files, documents and programs I will not use much: Western Digital WD740HLFS 74GB Hard Drive SATAII
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195779
Case: Coolermaster Elite 330
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127584
PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514
CD/DVD: LiteOn IHAS124-19
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176026
GPU: Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189283
OS: Windows 7 (already owned)
Dual Monitors: Just two standard ones (one is widescreen).
Peripherals (Not really worth mentioning): Keyboard and mouse that I already own,
USB Wifi Dongle (already own)
2.5 Speakers (already own. Going to use onboard sound for now)
Also, I have an external HDD.

I have chosen these components (some with help from these forums). I am not 100% about compatibility and if there are more suitable models/configurations (e.g hard drives,GPU, cooling and PSU).

I am hoping to overclock, so am considering water cooling but have no idea which specifications/models to pick. I have never used water cooling before and am assuming no fans are required at all when you use it?
 
Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835181009

I heard this is a great water cooler, all in one and doesn't require maintainance.

It does have a fan though, to cool the radiator.

Thanks. I read reviews and others agree it's good :D. Also, I was wondering, do components come with the screws required? I'm going to order some thermal paste (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126410) as I read you need this for watercooling.

Hopefully all the components are compatible! Going to make sure that no-one thinks something's wrong then order everything tomorrow! :D
 
Looks good.

I would get 3 x 2g mem
The second HDD should be a 500/750/1000g 7200rpm HDD, not a 74g for backup. This is not a rule, personal pref in case you want or need the space.
 
Thanks. I read reviews and others agree it's good :D. Also, I was wondering, do components come with the screws required? I'm going to order some thermal paste (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126410) as I read you need this for watercooling.

Hopefully all the components are compatible! Going to make sure that no-one thinks something's wrong then order everything tomorrow! :D

What do you mean by "do components come with the screws required" ?

Do you mean if the screws come included? Yeah they do.
 
Looks good.

I would get 3 x 2g mem
The second HDD should be a 500/750/1000g 7200rpm HDD, not a 74g for backup. This is not a rule, personal pref in case you want or need the space.

You're right. I considered 3x2gb, but thought I should save money, but it's only £25 more (nothing considering the cost of everything already!). Did you recommend those speeds because it's a secondary drive?


What do you mean by "do components come with the screws required" ?

Do you mean if the screws come included? Yeah they do.

Thanks. I worded it weirdly!

I'm assuming the instructions for the CWCH50 water cooler would tell you how to install it?

Also, with a custom built PC, do you need to adjust anything in the BIOS such as voltages? I won't be over clocking it until I've read into it enough.
 
Last edited:
HDD - I don't see the point to get Western Digital WD740HLFS. I recommend Samsung Spinpoint F3/ Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. They are faster than that WD according to benchmarks.

Case - I suggest going for Antec 300. It provide better ventilation.

RAM - I recommend 3 x 2Gb instead.

Mobo - Do you really need that highend mobo?

PSU - OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU @ £80 is a good to consider if you crossfire in future.
 
Thanks. I worded it weirdly!

I'm assuming the instructions for the CWCH50 water cooler would tell you how to install it?

Also, with a custom built PC, do you need to adjust anything in the BIOS such as voltages? I won't be over clocking it until I've read into it enough.

Well of course it will tell you how to install it, they're instructions aren't they? =P

You wont have to adjust anything, the settings will be automatic and at their defaults unless you change them otherwise.
 
Firstly, thanks so much for all this help. I feel in debt. :good:

HDD - I don't see the point to get Western Digital WD740HLFS. I recommend Samsung Spinpoint F3/ Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. They are faster than that WD according to benchmarks.

Case - I suggest going for Antec 300. It provide better ventilation.

RAM - I recommend 3 x 2Gb instead.

Mobo - Do you really need that highend mobo?

PSU - OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU @ £80 is a good to consider if you crossfire in future.

How about this?:

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Gold Memory Kit 1.65V CL10(10-10-10-30)


It's only £30 more than two of these:
Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module Unbuffered

But the support for the motherboard says:

6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory
Dual/3 channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

So would it not support it, as it says 2200, not 2000? The voltage for it is 1.65, when the motherboard says 1.5...


I couldn't find the Samsung Spinpoint F3/ Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. on ebuyer.com, so what about this?

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750630SS 750GB SAS Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159699

Thanks for the case and PSU input. I've never had to consideer buying a case of PSU before. I will be opting for those :D
 
Well of course it will tell you how to install it, they're instructions aren't they? =P

You wont have to adjust anything, the settings will be automatic and at their defaults unless you change them otherwise.

Haha yea, stupid question to ask!

I'm nervous about building a PC for my first time lol.
 
You will be fine with a WD black or seagate baracuda. The speed diff wont be easy to notice.

Just get a 1600 C9 or lower (lower case like C7) ram. Windows rates 1600 c9 at 7.8 of 7.9, not the final word but telling. Yes, you can go faster though.

I will stick with a 650tx or 750tx recomendation on the PSU. If you are in EU I think Seasonic makes Corsair and is sold there. However, the OCZ is also a good PSU, I used a 700w version before. Look at newegg and the reviews for the 750tx, there is a reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=750tx

I think the case I use is a fantastic low cost game case with lots of flow and normal, all black, looks. Cooler master 590. Not very popular though, most want more flash, I dont.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152&Tpk=cooler master 590
 
You will be fine with a WD black or seagate baracuda. The speed diff wont be easy to notice.

Just get a 1600 C9 or lower (lower case like C7) ram. Windows rates 1600 c9 at 7.8 of 7.9, not the final word but telling. Yes, you can go faster though.

I will stick with a 650tx or 750tx recomendation on the PSU. If you are in EU I think Seasonic makes Corsair and is sold there. However, the OCZ is also a good PSU, I used a 700w version before. Look at newegg and the reviews for the 750tx, there is a reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=750tx

I think the case I use is a fantastic low cost game case with lots of flow and normal, all black, looks. Cooler master 590. Not very popular though, most want more flash, I dont.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152&Tpk=cooler master 590

Thanks, I am looking into those right now.

I found this: Western Digital WD6402AAEX
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/198228

But it is SATA III, and I can't work out if the GA-X58A-UD7 supports that.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/187981

If not, then I how about:
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804

Thanks for your replies!
 
Just ordered EVERYTHING! :eek:

Requested Saturday delivery, so hopefully it all comes tomorrow. Can't wait to build it. Going to use the sticky guide for help putting everything together.

I couldn't have done it without this forum! Thanks!
 
Back
Top