my computer doesnt reach the download speed my father is paying for

Lotlot

when i run a speedtest on my desktop computer it will reach only 350-400 mbps instead of 900mbps. at first i didnt think much of it because i thought maybe its because my brother my father and i all have computers connected to the same router, but it changed when my brother said he is not connected to the internet so when i reconnected him he had 900 just like he should.
i started thinking why is that and the first thing i thought about was the ethernet cable so i tried plugging the cable to my laptop and ran a speed test and got 900 mbps
so it means something is wrong with my computer tho i have no idea what can affect the download speed.
would like some help from people who understand thanks in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How are you connected to the router, through a cable or using wifi? If using wifi, you will never get the full speed only about half at most. If using a cable then you should get the same speed as everyone else.

Lotlot

How are you connected to the router, through a cable or using wifi? If using wifi, you will never get the full speed only about half at most. If using a cable then you should get the same speed as everyone else.
i am using a cable which is why i thought it was a problem with the cable but it isnt

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would try updating the ethernet driver then. How old is this laptop? If it doesn't have decent specs then that could be the culprit as well.

Lotlot

I would try updating the ethernet driver then. How old is this laptop? If it doesn't have decent specs then that could be the culprit as well.
its not a laptop its a desktop computer and its from like 2016 i will try to update drivers and let you know

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oops sorry, misread your original post. If you can list what it says under network adapters in the device manager that would help. Might have to get the hardware and vendor ID's. Is this a store bought pc or custom built? If you right click on the ethernet device under network adapters, click on properties, then go to the drivers tab and list what it says for driver date and version.

Lotlot

1664976024787.png
which one is the ethernet device and the pc is store bought its pretty old i think.

where can i find the hardware and vendor ids?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's the one that says Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Right click on that, click on properties, click on the driver tab. I need the driver date and driver version listed.

To get to the hardware ID, click on the details tab, and change the property to hardware ids. Then I would need just the vendor and device id numbers. They are the 4 digits after ven_ and dev_ You can take a screenshot of that and post it here if you wish. Can you list the specs of the pc too like what processor and how much ram you have? Are you using an SSD or regular hard drive? When was the last time windows was reinstalled? Have you scanned your system for malware and did any general cleanup like using Ccleaner?

Lotlot

ok so i had a virus thanks for the help its now running like it should at 900 mbps

Attachments

• 1664979926971.png
    1664979926971.png
    25 KB · Views: 2
  • 1664980024773.png
    1664980024773.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 2