my computer is being a pain!!! help

Master Mind

hey,

ever since yesterday my computer started playing up (once again :mad:) and i'm starting to get a little frustrated because it can never not have a bloody problem.

yesterday i booted it up and it ran the memory test but then it stopped at 2***kb :confused: and my computer just froze. i removed a stick of the ram and rebooted, worked fine this time. today i got up and tried booting it, it started the memory test and stopped shortly after. i got into the bios and noticed the whole cmos was reset.

i changed all of the voltages and boot preferences etc that needed to be changed (my cpu doesn't run at the high enough voltage on default)

once again, i rebooted, and then the message comes up with "No PS/2 mouse detected......" "Press F1 to continue, Press Del to enter setup" i pressed F1 and it then comes up with "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". formatting isn't an option, my brother has his Uni project on there and i have already formatted during the last month.

im about to just rip the POS apart and sell everything. my old computer had less problems.... and everytime i need my computer..... it doesn't work :(

any help would be highly appreciated ;).

Master Mind

Diorhomme

Trying setting vcore to 1.4v and bringing it down to around 3.0ghz, see if it performs any differently, if not, I'd put my money on faulty ram, if it stabilizes then there's a problem with the OC, 1. not all E6600's are capable of operating @ 3.7ghz on air (yes even with the best air cooling such as yours) 2. you set your memory timings too tight or its getting too little/too much voltage. 3. or like I said, ram might be simply faulty.
Good luck

italianmonti

I've noticed if you underclock it sometimes you can load your computer long enough to actually diagnose the problem. but as of now, i can't underclock my stuff, the ram is foxed or something.

also is sounds like your getting a stablility problem....3.7 is extremely high for core 2 duo, eventhough it stays cool; it still might not be able to function properly.

Master Mind

i kinda started to wonder before about the ram if there was a problem with it. the problem is if that is faulty, i cant get it replaced because i bought it off ebay a while back.... damn :(

but then again, i wouldn't mind some better ram hehe. there's an excuse

Master Mind

Last edited:

Master Mind

ok, ill try my old ram in it quickly. see how it goes i suppose
ill get back to u when ive tried it out okies.

Master Mind

theres a problem, this ram in my old computer (corsair pc-3200) wont fit my motherboard so i cant really test the ram :(

Master Mind

Diorhomme

theres a problem, this ram in my old computer (corsair pc-3200) wont fit my motherboard so i cant really test the ram :(

Master Mind

Doh :( Borrow a stick from somebody or you are gonna have to send your computer to some repair show to find the problem, which will cost 50 or more bucks :(

Master Mind

thanks all, i fixed the problem. it turns out the bios was corrupt and i also needed to format the hdd. i know i said about formatting not being an option but while i had the hdd plugged into my old computer, i shifted all needed stuff off it.

i reset the cmos and its all good now. im using it right as we speak.

thanks again for all your help!

Master Mind