My Computer is Finally Ready!!!

b182tm

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if you could check out my computer, and tell me what you think. Any suggestions? Will it all work? I have about $25.00 to spare. Can I skimp on something to get a better "something else". Is there any hidden costs or anything else I will need? Here It Is
Thanks a ton,
Derek

b182tm

That didn't work? Weird.

Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Rosewill TU-155 Black Steel/Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: TU-155
$52.99

ASUS P5GPL Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915PL ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: P5GPL
$97.00

GIGABYTE GV-NX66128DP Geforce 6600 128MB DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: GV-NX66128DP
$112.00 $112.00

intel Pentium 4 530J Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80547PG3000EJ - Retail
Model #: BX80547PG3000EJ
$175.49

GeIL Value 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model GE1GB3200BSC - Retail
Model #: GE1GB3200BSC
$84.49

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP1213C 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: SP1213C
$80.00

SONY White IDE DVD Burner Model DRU720A - Retail
Model #: DRU720A
$75.99

Subtotal: $677.96

This is a rough idea, I'll try to get a link.
Derek

Greg J.

VIP Member
What if you got this 160 GB SATA II drive for $98 instead of the Samsung?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145088

*Please note that the drive is factory configured for 150 MB/sec operation and you need to use Hitachi's Feature Tool software to enable 300 MB/sec operation - this is downloadable from Hitachi's website as either a bootable floppy or an ISO image for a bootable CD*

Oh, and if you can, get a cheap floppy drive too :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103202

Also, would this be a cheaper and better DVD burner for you?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106967

Last edited:

b182tm

Did that link work?

What's better about that hard-drive? (Besides the larger capacity) What's the advantage of SATAII? Also, I am getting a floppy, but from somewhere else later (I have to keep the budget for my parents; When I get cash from my paycheck I'll buy one) Is that DVD drive good enough? It seems kinda cheap to me (I've never heard of the brand)
Thanks,
Derek

Last edited:

Greg J.

VIP Member
b182tm said:
Did that link work?

What's better about that hard-drive? (Besides the larger capacity) What's the advantage of SATAII? Also, I am getting a floppy, but from somewhere else later (I have to keep the budget for my parents; When I get cash from my paycheck I'll buy one) Is that DVD drive good enough? It seems kinda cheap to me (I've never heard of the brand)
Thanks,
Derek

SATA II can be a preparation for future (300 MB/s, not 150). As for the DVD burner, the original one seems fine. Just suggestions on price and quality.

Its up to you to decide.

Enjoy your computer
:)

Last edited:

b182tm

Thanks a lot Greg J. As long as the Lite-On is equal in value to the Sony, then I'd love to get it. Also, will I notice much of a difference between the two hard-drives? (I like to stick with names I know, but it all depends)
Thanks a bunch,
Derek

P.S. I am going to re-post this with the right link at the top...

mgoldb2

VIP Member
SONY White IDE DVD Burner Model DRU720A - Retail
Model #: DRU720A
$75.99

NEC Silver IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A
model #ND-3520A SV
$43

or

NEC Silver IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A
model #ND-3540A
$60

I think both these would be better choises then the sony and cost less.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Samsung and Hitachi hard drives are recommended by Praetor, a professional administrator of this forum because the drives last a long time (about 5 years or more) and run fairly quiet.

b182tm

I think I'll go with the original Samsung I originally was looking at. Save a few bucks, to put towards a v-card.
Thanks,
Derek

mgoldb2

VIP Member
b182tm said:
Cool, thanks a lot. By the way, I decided to go with THIS Lite-On. Thanks everybody.
Derek

One of the 2 NEC I named might be better choises. While when it comes to cdrw/dvd/cd/cdrwdvd drives I would highly recommend lite-one but for dvdrw I have not heard that great of things about them.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Yes indeed. Also, if you do get the SATA II drive, don't forget:

*Please note that the drive is factory configured for 150 MB/sec operation and you need to use Hitachi's Feature Tool software to enable 300 MB/sec operation - this is downloadable from Hitachi's website as either a bootable floppy or an ISO image for a bootable CD*

Looking forward to see your real signature in the future. :D

mgoldb2

VIP Member
b182tm said:
Are those as good or better than the original sony i was looking at?
Derek

In my opioun both the NEC drives I named are better then the sony.

The following is praetor review of the sony you orginally chose.

praetor said:
Sony DRU720 Ive heard lots of very contradicting things about the DRU710/DRU720 although many suggest that the DRU720 is essentially a remarked LiteOn 1673 (which is not a good thing since recent LiteOn DVD burners havent been stellar by any means). Although Ive included this drive, better or at least equal drives can be found for less (or similar prices). [$92.99USD

and this what he said about the NEC 3520

praetor said:
NEC 3520A ND-3520A Featuring the same chipset as the Pioneer 109 (but at a significantly reduced price), this is a very solid all-around DVD burner; the only complaint as such is that it lacks the ability to function as a high-end CDRW drive although NEC promises that this drive will be flashable to add more functionality. [$54.00USD]

The past two quotes can be found here
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=11610

The NEC 3540 is supposly a improved version of the 3520.