My computer restarts when playing 3D games!

chey

I have just built my new computer. It's

AMD Sempron 2600+
Gigabyte GA 7N400-L (System chipset nVidia N-Force 2)
Hynix 512M DDR400 module
Sapphire Radeon 9200 SE (64MB)
Seagate 80GB (IDE, 8M cache)
LG DVD-ROM, LG CD-RW
Floppy
400W power supply
monitor, keyboard, mouse.

When I turn it on, it doesn't seem to be there any problems.
When system temeperature is about 34 C (after ca. 60-90 mins), the memory test program shows some failures. No "big" problems, "only" bit-failures. But after 15 minutes (sys temp is above 34 C) there are ca. 300 failures/min.

No problems when running Windows (XP, SP1). There's only 2D graphic.
No problems when running an application using ONLY 3D graph.
I like NFSU 2. But when I enter the garage or a race it changes to 2D.
The problems come after 60-90 mins, when system temperature is 34°C. When entering anything (change to 2D) the computer restarts. I don't know what to do.

Originally, there was AGP8X, 64MB AGP aperture, fast writing, memory ran at 400MHz.
Now AGP is set to 4X, memory runs at 333MHz, 32MB AGP aperture, no fast writing. The problems come after 70-100 minutes.
Should I buy an nVidia video card, or try someting else?

kobaj

VIP Member
Even if there is only 1 error in your memory, your screwed. I suggest getting that fixed and that should fix your other problems.

Charlie7940

kobaj said:
Even if there is only 1 error in your memory, your screwed. I suggest getting that fixed and that should fix your other problems.

yes, i had sort of the same problem with an error in my memory. Got that fixed and it fixed my problems

daflo1

well i had the same problem but i doubt urs is the same cause i have a newer card and it requires more power from ur power suply. and i didnt no this. there is a lil thing where u connect an extra cord to ur graphics card and it gives it more power so it dont shut down ur computer. that was wat was wrong with mine and it retarted everytime i needed a 3d moment.

Lax

VIP Member
Like kobaj said, 1 error and it's done for. That 1 error can balloon into hundreds like what you've been seeing as the temp gets up. Your computer/PSU could also be overheating and shutting itself off as a precautionary measure. Do you get any bios beeps before it shuts off or right after you turn it on?

tomprice43

CPU or powersupply could be over heating, and as everyone says then 1 failure in memory can cause all sorts of problems

Bigshow1030

Cpu

I Think It Is The Cpu Overheating, Had That Problem With An Older System Of Mine And It Also Was During 3d Games And Such.........might Try A Bigger Fan

chey

The processor temperature is arond 50 C. There aren't any beeps when it restarts. It beeps after all self-tests when turning on, like other computers. It's normal.
There is a huge fan&heat sink for the processor. There is a 400W power supply, I was said it would work well with a bigger comuter, too.

My 3Dcard doesn't need any extra power.

The memory can be the reason of everything. Thanks for the idea.

Trukindave

ALso make sure you havent set the onboard settings to shut down on such a low temp.

Ive seen PC's go as high as 67C and be OK, If you are playing 3D games that draws on that processor more than anything else you can do on a PC..

Just check the settings and see where you have the heat shutdown temps set at..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect heat issues or voltages ones.

AMD Sempron 2600
Definitely suspect heat issues

The processor temperature is arond 50 C.
When are you reading this?

aren't any beeps when it restarts.
ANd there wont be (so dont listen for them)

might invest in some heat spreaders that could help a little
Not a chance. If your memory is overheating then you deserve to have it overheating. :)

ALso make sure you havent set the onboard settings to shut down on such a low temp.
99% of NF2 boards (only 99 cuz I cant think of a counterexample) dont have thresholds at 50C

If you are playing 3D games that draws on that processor more than anything else you can do on a PC..
Prime95

chey

When my computer restarts, I always go to BIOS and I watch the temps. This is ca. 10 sec. after that my computer restarts.