My Computer Vs My Laptop

I just bought this laptop expecting it to perform better than my desktop, but apparently it doesn't. here's the laptop specs

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
RAM: 16.0GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Next up is the desktop specs.

Processor :Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
RAM: 8.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Was I wrong in believing the laptop should be better or is it running not as it should be?

Laquer Head

Well you haven't told us anything about what you do with either machine, or what exactly the poor performance you are experiencing entails.

The laptop specs, in general, are decent for normal computer task, mid-range gaming, but its nothing too extravagant.. no offense but there are quite alot of machine with that spec lineup.

Depending what your needs are and, by extension, the limitations you are experiencing - you may want to look at a new GPU for the desktop (if gaming was a concern, for example)

Give us a better idea what the issues are and we can direct you in a way that will try to tackle the issue you are having.

I'm specifically looking at the way they handle games, they can both run Metal Gear Solid V on the highest settings.

The desktop computer runs it at a smooth 60 whilst the laptop lags behind around 30-40. I've looked at comparisons between the GTX 760 and the GTX 960 and everywhere I look the 960 comes out on top.

if you want any specifics, I can retrieve them.

I'm not looking to upgrade, I know the desktop is quite dated, I'm just looking to compare to determine which one I should use more often

Laquer Head

Well, the 960M would be 'ahead' technically, but if the 760 on the desktop plays better and delivers consistent fps then I'd definitely be going with the desktop.

Side question, are you still within a period of being able to return the laptop for a different model, or perhaps a different component?

Laquer Head

I got it a few days ago, everything it came with is still in my possession, its also running on a year waranty

I'm not personally shitting on your laptop, but my advice as a fellow consumer would be, return it now..while you can wipe your hands clean of it...most people dont have that luxury and you are in an advantageous position..! Either get a refund or choose a different laptop that has more robust GPU.

Or, you allot the laptop refund money to some new PC gear and be much happier!!! :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will never get the gaming experience out of a laptop that you do a desktop unless you spend a crazy amount of money. With a laptop, you have more heat and other issues to deal with.

I was expecting more considering the desktop would be atleast 4 years old, I got it preowned

anyways, alright, ty. i'll look into it

ill probably take it back, get a cheaper laptop and invest in upgrading my desktop at some point, I need a laptop

Last edited by a moderator:

Laquer Head

ill probably take it back, get a cheaper laptop and invest in upgrading my desktop at some point, I need a laptop

If you need a laptop, I assume for school or work and not for gaming, you can find a ton of capable machines for 500-700 bucks, and the rest of the money could go into PC,

You will never get the gaming experience out of a laptop that you do a desktop unless you spend a crazy amount of money. With a laptop, you have more heat and other issues to deal with.

This is true, even laptops with the 10-series GPU's in them, they just aren't the same, despite what review sites will have you believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intel_man

VIP Member
This is true, even laptops with the 10-series GPU's in them, they just aren't the same, despite what review sites will have you believe.
That's believe it or not due to the CPU lagging behind more than the pascal mobile gpu's not being nearly identical to it's desktop brother.

mistersprinkles

You don't want a gaming laptop for school dude. You want a laptop with extreme mobility and extreme battery life with a solid state drive to conserve power and safeguard you in the event of knocks or bumps.
Look at a core M CPU or a CPU that ends with U (ultra low voltage). These are lower performance but you can get extreme battery life out of these machines and honestly, word and excel don't need a lot of computing power.

As was said, Gaming laptops will never give you the same performance per dollar as desktops. You are much better off going with the cheapest laptop that suits your needs and spending the rest of your money on upgrading your desktop machine.

Honestly, if you overclock that CPU to a nice 4.5Ghz (easy to do on almost any 2500K), upgrade to 16GB of RAM, and get yourself a nice GTX 1060 or 1070, you will have a machine that is an order of magnitude (not literally but it'll feel like it) more powerful than what you have today.

What motherboard do you have? Do you have a nice beefy CPU cooler and a case with good airflow? How long of a video card does your case support? How many watts is your power supply?