My Custom Watercooling Journey

Toast

I'm probably going to make a trip to a junkyard at some point to pick out a heatercore for this project. Seems like the most cost efficient way to go at this point.

I'll look for something with copper tubing. Seeing as I'm also going to be disconnecting the tubing anyway, I could add some new coolant. I'm wondering if there's something else which is a little better than antifreeze that will work for this.

Also, I'm not quite clear as to how cranking the pump for a fanless design would actually benefit the temps, as it seems like it would make more sense to allow the coolant to have the most time possible in the radiator.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Hoestly, you're wasting your time. That rad is completely fine. You just need move the air (being a very bad conductor of heat).

wolfeking

banned
Without silver in the system, use a Biocide and strait distilled water. It is always the best coolant.

Tansmission cooler! The heater core will not be a good option in the least. just make sure it is copper tubes (a simple look will tell you) and you should be good. Take it to a shop and have it flushed before using (same procedure with any used radiator)

Toast

Exactly. I really lucked out with getting that block of copper for free. It's going to be hard to find a copper rad for a decent price- even at a junkyard.

It is what I'm after, however.

MyCattMaxx

Being that I am a cheap kind of guy, if it was my set-up at this point I would just put the fans to it and see which way the wind blows.
If it holds the temp at a point I could live with I'd run it til the radiator pukes.
But I'd make sure the radiator was outside my case where a leak won't kill the electronics.
That copper block will last longer than you will have the comp.
You could also put a fuel filter in the coolant line to catch some of the corrosion.

Okedokey

Yeah good luck with it. I reckon you should test temps and see what is going on first. You could actually set it up in the bios so that the pump only turns on at a certain temp.

MyCattMaxx

Yeah good luck with it. I reckon you should test temps and see what is going on first. You could actually set it up in the bios so that the pump only turns on at a certain temp.
He can't do that with his pump set-up.
It doesn't run on 12V.

wolfeking

banned
he is using a 110V (possibly 220) fountain pump. It has no interface with his BIOS at all.

Okedokey

A relay, some termal blocks and some cable is all that is really needed. 12V connected to one side of the relay (connected to the CPU fan pins), the 110V on the other side powering the pump.

Send 12V signal to relay, it latches, 110V connected. Then put pump speed on max (on the pump) and use the bios to ramp up speed with temperature above the cut-in threshold.

All stuff you can get from the dump. Look for washing machines or other white goods that run of mains and convert down to 12VDC for safety.

Or, send a few bucks on heat-shrink and waterproof crush-terminals and consider a zener diode for polarity protectionp.

You can get them premade too.

http://ramwayrelay.en.alibaba.com/p...31746/DS902D_80A_110v_220v_12v_24v_relay.html

Last edited:

Toast

For the time being, I have to put this on hold. I have a few expenses coming up and I need to save every penny that I have. For now, I'm going to try building a fan shroud that will force the air to blow through the radiator, instead of dispersing around it.

lemon07r

Just read through the whole thread. Awesome project cant wait to see the results! (And lol at the haters who stopped hating AFTER getting chastized). Makes me want to make my own liquid cooling system (but not custom, looks way to hard xD).