"My Documents" appears on start up

Whoops

Every time I start windows on my computer, the "My Documents" folder window pops up without me requesting it. Does anybody know how I could fix this? Thanks for any help.

adarsh

Hi. This may be because you(unintentionally, ofcourse) or somebody else has scheduled My Documents at logon. This maybe fixed by using regedit.

Go to Run and type regedit and press enter.
First off, create a backup of your registry. To do this, go to file -> export

Now navigate to : HKEY_Current_User -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Run.

Now on the left pane, you will be able to see certain keys. BE VERY CAREFUL! Do not delete any other key.
In the description, it should say C:\(or whatever your primary partition is)User\my documents

Delete this key. That should work out.

GameMaster

I'm afraid you made it more complicated than it is.
It's just installed on his startup.
Run>msconfig>Startup, find MyDocuments and uncheck the box.
Click yes, and reboot your computer.

Whoops

Thanks for the help. I've tried both ways and I cannot find MyDocuments using either of the methods, I've seen other things I know activate when I start windows like popupstopper and such but I've looked three times and I cannot find MyDocuments listed.

codeman0013

Have you checked start all programs and startup and seeing if its in there? If it is just delete it and you should be ok...

GameMaster

Ok, there is a trick if that didn't work.
Rename the MyDocuments and reboot the computer.
If it's just sth done by an accident it will no longer appear at the startup list because it's an ''invalid command''.
Else, I have NO idea, how the heck did you make it and how the heck to fix it.

GameMaster

Jeeeez that's how it's done!
I hate when I act like a smart guy, instead of googling.
It's a lot more complicated!!
But this is gonna work, dw!
Please, reboot the computer in safe mode, your usual account.
Now turn off SystemRestore!
(Start>AllPrograms>Accessories>SystemTools>Systemrestore>Systemrestore Settings>Turn off).
Please run HijackThis ( I believe you have it installed on your computer, else download from http://filehippo.com/download/0e0a4476bb67470852b2d430cb13c07c/download/)
Next to do is scan it right there.
After it finishes it will produce a log ( if chosen Scan and save a logfile ) otherwise you'll get a window with listed some proccesses and stuff.
Place a check on these lines!

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,userinit.exe

O21 - SSODL: Web Event Logger - {79FEACFF-FFCE-815E-A900-316290B5B
738} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Egdbnpdl.dll

O21 - SSODL: mtkle - {4AF272B6-2894-4979-6985-A807CD166A02} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vfqy32.dll

Then, delete THIS files!!:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Egdbnpdl.dll

C:\WINDOWS\System32\vfqy32.dll
( you know how don't you? Go to C, WINDOWS, System32 and find this vfgy32.dll and Egdbnpdl.dll and delete).

Now please reboot in normal mode, see what's going on, and if everything is right, turn on Systemrestore and be sure to let us know here!
If it doesnt work, be sure to let us know here!
cheers and gl!
GameMaster

Platinum

Jeeeez that's how it's done!
I hate when I act like a smart guy, instead of googling.
It's a lot more complicated!!
But this is gonna work, dw!
Please, reboot the computer in safe mode, your usual account.
Now turn off SystemRestore!
(Start>AllPrograms>Accessories>SystemTools>Systemrestore>Systemrestore Settings>Turn off).
Please run HijackThis ( I believe you have it installed on your computer, else download from http://filehippo.com/download/0e0a4476bb67470852b2d430cb13c07c/download/)
Next to do is scan it right there.
After it finishes it will produce a log ( if chosen Scan and save a logfile ) otherwise you'll get a window with listed some proccesses and stuff.
Place a check on these lines!

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,userinit.exe

O21 - SSODL: Web Event Logger - {79FEACFF-FFCE-815E-A900-316290B5B
738} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Egdbnpdl.dll

O21 - SSODL: mtkle - {4AF272B6-2894-4979-6985-A807CD166A02} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vfqy32.dll

Then, delete THIS files!!:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Egdbnpdl.dll

C:\WINDOWS\System32\vfqy32.dll
( you know how don't you? Go to C, WINDOWS, System32 and find this vfgy32.dll and Egdbnpdl.dll and delete).

Now please reboot in normal mode, see what's going on, and if everything is right, turn on Systemrestore and be sure to let us know here!
If it doesnt work, be sure to let us know here!
cheers and gl!
GameMaster

He hasn't even posted his HJT log... how do you know what lines will appear? Post a HJT log in the security forum...

GameMaster

Not necessery! That's what appears in Hijackthis Log if shi* like this happen.
Because HijackThis marks all registry changes.

when you shut down windows is my document open and in msconfig have you for a weird reason if you know what msconfig is got it to come up in there?