My documents

petervm

I asked this question before, and someone kindly replied, but unfortunately, I lost the answer.

Windows XP, by default suggests saving a document in My Documents folder.
How can I alter this to be something else, like an other folder or an external hard disc?

Thanks

Petervm

tomb08uk

Yes you can. Go to start, then right click on "my documents", and select properties. And under the tab called "target" and alter 'target folder location' to the relevant location.

Hope this helps.

PC Hobbyist

Yes you can. Go to start, then right click on "my documents", and select properties. And under the tab called "target" and alter 'target folder location' to the relevant location.

I don't think he means changing the location of the "My Documents" folder, but rather having the default saving location of a file be something other than "My Documents" folder.

(In any case, I do recommend changing the location of "My Documents" so that it is not on the same partition as the operating system. That way if your OS ever dies on you and you have to reinstall, your files will be safe in another partition.)

But anyway, back to what I think is the original question.

I can't remember how you do that, but in the mean time (until someone here responds to that).... here are a couple of programs you can check out. They are freeware and they allow you to change the items in the locations bar in the save and open dialog boxes in XP. It is handy for when you have a couple of folders that you constantly save things in or open things from.

In the past, I haved used the first one listed. If I am not mistaken, the first one allows several entries, while the second program limits you to 5 choices. I could be wrong on this info, but you can take a glance at it if you want.

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/PlacesBar_Tweaker/PlacesBarTweaker.html

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/PlacesBar_Constructor/placesbarcon.html

Geoff

VIP Member

Hope this helps.

That sounds like exactly what he wants to do, change the My Documents properties so it saves to an external drive.

And thats exactly how its done.

PC Hobbyist

[-0MEGA-];504252 said:
That sounds like exactly what he wants to do, change the My Documents properties so it saves to an external drive.

And thats exactly how its done.

Hmm... I re-read his question and I can see it go both ways, but it's two against one - so you guys win. :p

petervm

Hi
I am sorry that I was not precise enough and that it took me such a long time to responde.
The first answer by tomb08uk was what I was after.
Thank you all.
Regards
petervm