My experience on two MBO

ssal

I built my first computer last year with an ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4). Since it was my first build, I was pretty ignorant on a lot of things. But the process was pretty painless. The manual provided very clear instruction. The support was helpful and quite accessible. I had 64gb (4x16) of DDR4. I was not able to OC them to 3200 MHz. But there was no problem at the stated 3200 MHz with on 32 (2x16) gb. That's good enough for me.

I built the second one with a Gigabyte B450M DS3H MBO. I'd found the BIOS setting was not as intuitive and responsive. I was not able to bring the 32 gb to the full 3200 MHz. Support was knowledgeable and friendly, only if you are patient enough to wait for up to 45 minutes.

The other issue I have with the Gigabyte board was the arrangement. The PCIe slots were too closed together. The PCIeX1 slot was completely blocked when I mounted the GPU on the PCIex16 slot. When I mount the WiFi adapter to the PCIex4 slot, it almost touches the fan of the GPU, thus blocking the airflow from the fan.

In hind site, I probably should have stayed with the ASRock board. But someone here mentioned that the ASRock MBO was a cheapie that I decided to try something different.

For whatever it's worth. These are my two-cents.

StrangleHold

Staff member
ASrock is not that bad. Years ago they were owned by Asus really to make cheaper boards against Foxconn without putting Asus name on them. Over the years they have stepped up making higher quality boards. I still like Gigabyte, Asus or MSI in that order boards better.

Years ago I used to use alot of Abit and Epox boards.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When I first started building pc's i always used Asus boards until I ran into some failure issues then went to Gigabyte and haven't looked back.

StrangleHold

Staff member
When I first started building pc's i always used Asus boards until I ran into some failure issues then went to Gigabyte and haven't looked back.
Yeah I guess when I first started the first few boards I used before I heard of AMD was Asus boards. Then the K5 came out and I never looked back. Use to think the AMD K6 III was the stuff

My 8rda and 9npa salute you.
Oh yeah the nForce chipset boards!