My faithful HP beats edition 15-p030nr keeps overheating? Need second opinions..

Hi all, I received this computer new in 2016 and it's been in my possession ever since. A year ago the fan was very loud and reminded me of a race-car (thru tv). I let it go, and eventually, the lap top stopped turning on for me.
When I took it to be looked at, the associate had said the motor in the cooling fan was shot (that he'd never seen one so bad) and they replaced the entire thing (cooling fan part, motor and heat strip).
This morning, I went to turn on my lap like I do every day, I pushed the power button, the keyboard and screen lit up, and then instantly shut down, dead. Though the fan is quiet as ever this time.

When the fan started getting loud, I began researching how to take the lap apart to clean it. (If anyone reading this is familiar with my lap top, i was super worried about taking it apart the first time...) I took it apart this morning and cleaned the fan and connected air ways (now the 5th cumulative time I've taken apart/put together my laptop). There was a decent amount of dust and hair as well (I have a kitty nd I smoke x.x).

NOW, miraculously, I came home from work and tried it once, didn't work. Twice, didn't work. Brought it to my parents to show them what's happening and wouldn't you know it, It turned on....I'm writing this post with my 15-p030nr lap right now...BUT, I know something is seriously wrong and I want to try to fix/help it before I have to completely replace the cooling fan again..or worse... (I get the heat strip wears and that needs replaced periodically, but the fan and it's motor???)

I do have a cooling fan that I run when I know I'll be using my lap for awhile, (playing games).

Bad habits: A. I tend to leave my computer running over night sometimes. B. I leave the charger in unless I take my laptop somewhere with me. C. I don't unplug the charger while I use it (it's plugged in most of the time...). D. I don't clean my lap top very often, I'll use rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip on the keys but I only open up the lap if something like this happens. E. Sometimes I close the laptop without shutting it down or putting it to sleep....Then I'll open it up sometime later and begin using it (like it was sleeping) and sometimes it will freeze for a second, and shut down (like it overheated...).

I want a second opinion because I'm not sure the cooling fan is the issue this time. Considering how I use my charger, I'm wondering if my battery may be going or if there is a way to troubleshoot such a thing. I ran the 'power' troubleshooter on my comp and it just changed my brightness and 'time before idle' settings...

Per my username, I love my computers, and I can work my way around them... But when it comes to maintaining and caring for my technology, I'm pretty ignorant about it....

I'm hoping someone can: 1. Confirm the reasons a computer may force shut down or neglect to power on. 2. Give an idea as to what I can do to avoid this happening continuously (as I'm a little afraid to shut my baby down again...). 3. Possibly give anecdotal/experiential or factual technical evidence to support what may be happening with my HP 15-p030nr. and 4. Address what I'm doing to my lap (specifically) when I E.G. leave the charger in 24/7, close it w/o shutting down ect....

If you made it to this point, Thank you so much and I'll appreciate any advice or knowledge you're willing to share.

Agent Smith

Read your entire post. The first sentence immediately had me question why the CPU fan would spin up. Probable cause is the CPU over heating, which means either you have crap on your computer eating the CPU speed, or the computer is very dirty inside. What I would do is run the program CoreTemp and post your CPU temps. I would also run the program Autoruns and make sure you don't have loads of crap starting up that's eating CPU cycles. But be VERY! careful with Autoruns and only disable start up items that you don't really need starting up. If there's something you don't need, use Revo Uninstaller and remove it. Malware/ADware could be another factor. Scan the computer with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, TDSSkiller and Herdprotect portable. But before you do, run rKill. I just want to rule that out.

As far as your bad behaviors. I don't think leaving the AC adapter plugged in will harm the computer. I thought as well it would ruin the battery, but someone on here said it won't. So I guess not. You shouldn't really use sleep or hibernate mode. They have been known to cause issues. Especially in Win 10. I've read about it before. Go into the power options of the control panel and make sure the options are set to never sleep/hibernate or sleep/hibernate when the lid is shut. Also, you should never let your PC just sit and run. Always turn it off when not in use. You are wearing the PC out, especially if your HDD is a platter and never spins down. But to tell you the truth, I don't think HP makes a very good laptop. Check out Dell or ASUS and read lots of reviews.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Antivirus---Antispyware/Portable-herdProtect.shtml

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

What OS are you running?

Actually, while you post your CPU temps, post your Autoruns ARN file, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Dell Dv7 that now only works when the charger is plugged in (new battery probably...). This HP was given to me as a gift to 'replace' my dv7...I like how compact this one is compared to the other, and this one has never slowed down for me, though...I was pirating music using the dv7 so...its also possible its cached with malware and such and thats why it runs slow....ANYWAY, I'm computer illiterate and don't know how to post the original 'file' for my stuff and some files are 'too large', so I took screenshots for some of it. The only things I haven't done that you've listed is run TDSkiller and herdprotect portable, and remove unwanted start up files. I have to go now for family Easter celebration, But will come back and run the TDSkiller and herdprotect, as well as go ahead and get rid of half of those files on my ARN screenshot.

I've downloading alot of game and game addition stuff that I've attempted to delete BUT, I'm silly, and I delete everything I see regarding that file, but I rarely actually 'uninstall' it...I've tried to get rid of discord and steam 5 times already. Both begin on startup.

Thanks so much for helping!

Attachments

• CPU temps.PNG
    CPU temps.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Rkill.txt
    2 KB · Views: 2
  • Malwarebytes scan.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Super antispyware scan.PNG
    Super antispyware scan.PNG
    15 KB · Views: 3
  • Autoruns.PNG
    Autoruns.PNG
    71 KB · Views: 4
So, I deleted a few gaming apps (facebook, blizzard, HotS..) and rechecked my CPU temp and my autorun files...

Should I be concerned with the highlighted portion there?

Attachments

• Current CPU temp.PNG
    Current CPU temp.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Uhm might this be an issue.PNG
    Uhm might this be an issue.PNG
    71.1 KB · Views: 8

Darren

Staff member
Your getting fan issues because quite frankly those HP's are low quality and are not going to handle gaming very long. I used to work in a shop until very recently and saw these types of HP's absolutely chew through motherboards like they were being paid for it. The motherboards are low quality and I'd see them die even within a year of usage. If you game on it regularly, which sounds like you do, I wouldn't be surprised to see the motherboard quit on you in the near future.

The temps you posted above are obviously at somewhat idle load (not gaming). Can you run CoreTemp and then play a demanding game or run a CPU benchmark like CPU-Z? See what the max temp gets too. Is it loud constantly or just under load? If the fan is spinning up and down and not making any obvious loud noises (like grinding or sounds like something is jammed in it), then you're likely just getting it too warm or the thermal sensor is out of whack.

Leaving the charger in is fine, non issue. Fully shutting it down and not just putting it to sleep or closing it is going to be helpful as it's fully shutting down and not constantly running the board (even if it is a small amount of power). If you've just been putting it to sleep and leaving it actually on then it's still going to draw some power and just wear out the components more.

I'd also go to HP's support site and flash the latest BIOS.

I've repaired dozens of similar HP models and done a lot of motherboard swaps for them. Those AMD APU's that yours have also aren't very good and run kinda hot, although your idle temps you showed above look fine.

Agent Smith

Yeah, temps look fine, but like to see what it is at load. Run a game for about 5 min, then ALT + TAB and run core temp and post a screen shot.

No malware found or anything like that. So that rules that out. You should enable the rootkit scan in malwarebytes though. I'd like to see the Autoruns ARN file though. You can save it, right click and Zip the file. Upload here. Like I said, if you want to disable or remove something, use Revo Uninstaller. Don't use Autoruns. Use Autoruns for things you can't disable on start up that you want to keep. Like I see that SuperAntiSpyware is running, so you can untick that. In fact, you should be able to go into SuperAntiSpyware's options and disable it from running in the background.

Steam and the other stuff may have a service that is causing its self to restart. I wouldn't bother with those.

Should I be concerned with the highlighted portion there?

I need the log. I may be items that were deleted, but there is a log of their traces left on the system.

EDIT-

And here's your answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ot-found/837ba758-ad0a-4bc3-b227-62046f7e198d

Last edited by a moderator: