My favorite way of repairing disc scratches

konsole

I figured it was about time to pass this info on to others as I have gotten tired of seeing the same stupid methods being recommended all over the place. Whether its toothpaste, peanut butter, or some other household substance. No, what you want is a micro polish for vehicles. My recommendation is Menzerna SF4500, (use to be called PO85RD or micro polish). This stuff is expensive, at about $20-40 for 32-oz.. Its basically a micro polish with the finest grit you can get. Buy a yellow foam pad to apply the polish. Clean the disc, wet the pad, apply some drops of the polish to the disc, then go to town with the pad. It will get rid of minor disc scratches, while at the same time it will round off the sharp edges of deeper scratches. Using something to temporarily fill in the deeper scratches is up to you, but I think I would prefer to just smooth off the deeper scratches. So its pricey but it is what I think the best substance for bringing out a mirror surface on many other surfaces as well (since its marketed as a final polish for car paint). Its up to you if you want to get one of Menzerna's higher grit polishes to remove some of the deeper scratches, but larger grits will leave behind "swirl marks", while they may also remove too much of the discs surface.

C4C

I might have to try this out... Sounds like a great alternative to dish soap >.<

An Admin should make this a sticky thread IMO

konsole

I might have to try this out... Sounds like a great alternative to dish soap >.<

An Admin should make this a sticky thread IMO

use soap to clean any loose dirt off the disc first so you dont rub the dirt into the disc and create more scratches.

bomatt

about 5 miles away from my house there is a store called cd game exchange and they will clean all my discs for free if they're not busy or anything. but this method seems like it would work well. thanks for the tip konsole.

ps. badass user name bro....i like it.

strollin

I don't use disks enough anymore to spend $$ for something like that. I've never even used anything like toothpaste, I have just buffed scratched disks with something like a micro fiber cloth. That has worked well for me over the years.

spirit

Staff member
Honestly I've never had a disc that cannot be read because it's scratched. Like everything, if you are careful and don't needlessly throw stuff around or leave things where they shouldn't be then the problem is simply non-existent.

tremmor

Same here. Never failed and taken care of. always in a paper sleeve or plastic case. Then i don't use disc no more. Have hundreds of new one also. don't burn. back up HD or micro drive works well. now.

beers

Staff member
I've seen the Disc Doctor repair a few CDs that had read errors, but it basically resurfaces the disk, although it ends up leaving some crazy visual pattern on the disk.

Pretty much the same concept it seems.

aldan

same here.the only time ive had to deal with scratched or damaged disks is when i was stupid enough to lend them to someone else.lol.as long as im handling them they stay in excellent condition.