My First Gaming Laptop (Battery Question)

zeig

Im purchasing the Asus G53SX-RH71, after all my research i think its a great bang for my buck and i love its look, plus i can play skyrim on it :D

BUT, and this is a very large but.. I am a engineering college student and need a laptop that is a laptop and not a temperary mobile desktop. The battery last for only 1-3 hours! depending on usage.

my question is, are there companies that make larger laptop batteries. I don't care if its clunky and big and hangs off the back. i want it to last for double what it does now.

I was thinking of just purchasing a second battery, but that seems like a pain. Please help!!! :(

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is the battery you have now only a 6 cell battery? They do make 9 and 12 cell batteries but it all depends on if your laptop supports them.

zeig

without looking it up im pretty sure that the Asus i will be purchasing has a 12 cell. Its just a power hog. I'm really just looking for an extended battery, much like the battery packs everyone used to put on old gameboys!

tremmor

Im curious also. double check the battery for 9 or 12 volt. Should do better i think.
Suggestion:
Read the manual carefully on taking care of it like for charging. Example: overcharging could damage a battery. Letting the battery run to low before charge could damage battery.
Might want to consider reading the manual about power saving features also that yours has and will preserve energy.

zeig

Im curious also. double check the battery for 9 or 12 volt. Should do better i think.
Suggestion:
Read the manual carefully on taking care of it like for charging. Example: overcharging could damage a battery. Letting the battery run to low before charge could damage battery.
Might want to consider reading the manual about power saving features also that yours has and will preserve energy.

yea i know how to take care of a battery so its max charge doesn't decrease too quickly, i'm really just looking for a larger battery. Oh well i guess there aren't any too reliable ones out there other than ebay if any.

tremmor

OEM that would fit would be better. Getting the biggest one available for your laptop. If ya do goto Ebay it should be new and unopened. (new). Might want to check Newegg also and Amazon.
good luck.

zeig

OEM that would fit would be better. Getting the biggest one available for your laptop. If ya do goto Ebay it should be new and unopened. (new). Might want to check Newegg also and Amazon.
good luck.

I'm not quite sure what you meant there. OEM?

jonnyp11

original equipment manufacturer, or something along those lines, basically anything bought in a store like that computer would be oem, you bought it already made and all, on computers many here build theirs, making theirs non-oem