My first PC build but is this $1,700 of overkill?

I am so excited that I am finally going to be able to buy a new computer. I am going to go from a $300 Walmart piece of crap desktop to hopefully an amazing going to blow my mind PC.

I have been exploring a lot of options ( watching many helpful youtube videos )

This is what I have right now in an online shopping cart

I honestly don't know anything about a lot of this. Do you think this $1,700 computer build is way overkill for what I need or do you think it's a good investment that will last for many years to come? The only PC game I play is World of Warcraft. I would like to be able to play it at ultra settings. I also want my surfing of the web to be ultra fast. I am sure there are more demanding games out there then WOW. Please any advise ( especially to help save me money and not dwindle performance too much ) would be greatly appreciated!!

I know I can just buy a $1,000 computer with everything in it but I think I would enjoy it very much to try and challenge myself and put my own together.

CASE ROSEWILL | THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case $119.99

GIGABYTE G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 GV-N770OC-4GD WindForce 3X 450W Video Card $359.99

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit $99.99

CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 CW-9060014-WW Water Cooler $114.99

ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS $27.99

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $134.99

CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle (Blue Edition) $29.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready $129.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Desktop Processor $329.99

PNY XLR8 SSD9SC240GMDA-RB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $109.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $59.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $154.99

I am also thinking of this " http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1752922 " pre built computer. I would save a ton of money ( it doesn't have the 16 GB of memory that I would like to have though )

Last edited:

tylerjrb

Looks very good and would play most games ultra 1080p including WOW I would have a look at a msi twin frozr 970 or wind force 970, this is a better performing card and for the slight increase in price it would be worth it as it is a much better performing card, also in the future if you decide to play other games it would do it comfortably. Also unless your going to use the full 240gb on the ssd you could bring that to 120, install windows etc and have room for more stuff. You can put WOW on the HDD.

Last edited:
Looks very good and would play most games ultra 1080p including WOW I would have a look at a msi twin frozr 970 or wind force 970, this is a better performing card and for the slight increase in price it would be worth it as it is a much better performing card, also in the future if you decide to play other games it would do it comfortably. Also unless your going to use the full 240gb on the ssd you could bring that to 120, install windows etc and have room for more stuff. You can put WOW on the HDD.

Like this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127834 Yikes that is kind of high

Last edited:

Cisco001

Case - Do you really need full tower?
Video Card - GTX 970/ GTX 980
Watercool - Are you going to extreme overclock? Is there a need to spend $120 on watercool?
CPU and Mobo - both outdated. Probably i7 4790K + GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
SSD - I am not sure about PNY SSD. My usual pick is Samsung
PSU - Is there a need to get 750W PSU? Are you going to SLi? If not consider cheaper 550 - 650W

If you want to save money, go for i5 4670K.

Last edited:
Case - Do you really need full tower?
Video Card - GTX 970/ GTX 980
Watercool - Are you going to extreme overclock? Is there a need to spend $120 on watercool?
CPU and Mobo - both outdated. Probably i7 4790K + GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
SSD - I am not sure about PNY SSD. My usual pick is Samsung
PSU - Is there a need to get 750W PSU? Are you going to SLi? If not consider cheaper 550 - 650W

If you want to save money, go for i5 4670K.

this is exactly why I'm on here because I don't know what I'm doing lol I switched the cpu in my cart to i7- 4790

Do you think

PNY VCGGTX9704XPB GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card (G-SYNC Support)

or

EVGA 04G-P4-1972-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Superclocked G-SYNC Support Video Card

For the GTX 970

I don't plan on doing any overclocking so I guess I don't need the aftermarket cooler also switched the mother board to GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 3

ninjabubbles3

The two graphics cards are exactly the same, but go with the EVGA one, good reliable company.

Go with the K version of the 4790, you will be killing yourself when you want to overclock, and with even a cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler, you will be able to get great overclocks.

Also the SSD, go with a crucial, corsair, intel, samsung one.

Lastly, if all you do is WoW, you dont nearly have to spend this much, a 800 dollar self build will get it done.

Darren

Staff member
If you're only playing WoW you're spending WAY more than you need to. If all you need is WoW then I'd just get an i5-4670K, 8GB of RAM, GTX 760 or R9 280, and a good sized SSD for your OS and WoW.

Spending that much is insane for WoW. I went from a 7850 (which is less than both that I recommended for you) to a 7970 (more powerful than what I recommended for you) and didn't notice any performance change in WoW. In other games there was a huge difference, but for WoW, you won't see much.

But if you've got the money to spend and want a machine that will last you several years of gaming with other titles then stick more to what you've got. But exclusively for WoW, save your money and go with something more like what I suggested.

Also realize that regardless of your system specs, you're going to lag a bit in massive fights and Orgrimmar and Stormwind. :p

I want to take a moment to thank you all very much for the help and suggestions you gave me much to think about. Taking the time to come on here and answer peoples questions means a great deal ! :)