my first time building. need opinions

up355

the parts are listed here: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aBye

i know nothing about cases and motherboards. picked both of those without much research.

should i go with 2133mhz RAM or 2000mhz? how big of a difference will it be?

i might not overclock the CPU...but i've always wanted a water cooled computer so i might switch it to a H80 or H70.

a few people have told me to get a bigger monitor if im buying a GTX 680. any suggestions?

my budget is $2700, looking to build this in august so hopefully the price on this build will drop a bit more.

let me know what you guys think

Last edited:

Gun

Nice choice of parts you have there. In my opinion 24" should be OK :). I mean, you know how big 24 inches is, if you're happy with a monitor that size then get it :).

You've got a lot of nice parts there, I think it would be worth spending a bit more on the case. Something with better cable management and something that you're going to be happy putting your expensive parts in, but it's up to you :).

What are you going to use this PC for?
Good point. Tell us what you're going to be using it for. Whether it be gaming, editing, photography, etc.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Yeah you've chosen good parts there. I'd go for an NZXT Phantom case if you want to keep it cheaper, or perhaps a Lian-Li PC-K62.

As for the RAM, just go for 2000MHz or maybe even 1866MHz or even 1600MHz. There's not a lot of difference.

Once we know what this PC is going to be used for, we can start to suggest you cheaper stuff. If this is for gaming, it's pretty much overkill in most areas.

up355

thanks for the feedback so far

this PC will be used for gaming, possibly video editing and web designing.

spirit

Staff member
I reckon an overclocked i7 3770K with a good Z77 board such as the GA-Z77X-UD3H or the UD5H would be better and a lot cheaper for you. Go for RipJaws-X 1600MHz RAM too.

claptonman

I reckon an overclocked i7 3770K with a good Z77 board such as the GA-Z77X-UD3H or the UD5H would be better and a lot cheaper for you. Go for RipJaws-X 1600MHz RAM too.

Agreed.

There are some misconceptions you have listed. Just because you have a 680, you don't need a "bigger" monitor. What would help would be a monitor with a higher resolution, but anything bigger than 1080 would be $600+. And I'd stay at about 27", never above that at 1080.

And as the corsair H series are good and technically watercooling, you wouldn't go up to someone who has a full custom-loop setup and say you're computer is water-cooled because you have an H series. A full loop, while expensive, would be much, much cooler, and cool most every part of the computer, like the graphics card and the RAM even.

And if you don't plan on overclocking, I'd skip the aftermarket cooler. But when and if you decide to do it, you can just add a cooler. And get the 3770k, because if you do decide to overclock, that'd be the choice to get.

up355

so a LGA 1155 mother boards can only do up to 1600mhz memory? all the ones i've looked at so far won't support anything higher.

i'll change up the build and post it up in a few hours.

spirit

Staff member
You can run 1866 on an LGA 1155 board, most actually support up to around 2200. You don't really need faster than 1600 though.

spirit

Staff member
Go for an ASRock Z77 Extreme6 or maybe a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard. The UD3H is a great board for the price.

Rest looks pretty good. :)