My Gaming Computer

TastyBiscuit

I'm wondering if anyone can give me insight to how good this gaming computer is and anything I should know to lower my price or make the computer better... I want to spend between 1500-2000 without tax, here are the specs for my comp:

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 - $300
Memory: G.Skill DDR3-1600 4GB Dual Channel - $121
Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT. 1156 Intel P55 DDR3 ATX - $140
Hard Drives:
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache - $70
WD SATA II 64GB SSD - $170
Video Card: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E - $470
Antec 750W - $140

These are the main components, costing at about 1500 dollars.. With the case, burner, and other non-gaming components the computer comes to a total of about 1800 without tax. I don't plan on building it myself (Which I know would be cheaper) nor do I plan to order things online (Which I know can also make it cheaper, and I've had bad experiences with online transactions). Is everything pretty good? Should I change the CPU to something more cheaper? Are all the brands pretty good quality? Should I get more RAM? Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

Crimsoneye

you really should consider building this yourself with ordering the parts online, its really not that hard and there are plenty of guides/youtube videos online. I just built my first system last week.(i did spend probably a full 24 hours before ordering the parts, but still...) You would be saving a good $20-30 per part, sometimes more, which in the end would amount to a better Mobo able to handle upgrades (like if you wanted to get a second HD5870 graphics card to crossfire[using two cards at once, boosts fps in most games by about 75%]), and you could go possibly go for 2x4GB sticks of memory instead of 2x2GB sticks.

From newegg alone, you are paying a bit too much for each part

mihir

VIP Member
It looks good but if gaming is your only purpose.
Replace the CPU by i5 750
and the PSU is also pretty expensive.
But the pricing for a prebuilt its all pretty nicely priced because prebuids are usually more expensive

dwaynep

yes everything is certainly good. yes all those parts are good quality and should last you a very long time. 4gb of ram is more than enough

just wondering what case do u plan on putting all these parts?

TastyBiscuit

yes everything is certainly good. yes all those parts are good quality and should last you a very long time. 4gb of ram is more than enough

just wondering what case do u plan on putting all these parts?

I'm planning to put it in a HAF 932 limited edition AMD.. Yea I know it advertises a lot of AMD but I don't mind :p It's a nice case.

daisymtc

I believe Dual - 5830/ GTX460 will faster than single 5870 at similar price. But the downside is power consumption

daisymtc

Single Card is always better than Crossfire and sli.
CF
More heat more power driver issues

What make you think crossfire/ SLi is not as good??

Read this review!
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3170/sapphire_radeon_hd_5830_video_card_in_crossfire/index.html

Single 5830 is as low as $180 after MIR. 2 x $180 = $360

750W ($110) PSU can push dual 5830/ GTX 460 without problem.
While with single 5870, you probably something like 500 - 550W ($65)

So at the end, you still save $65

Anyway, I suggest that purely because he said 5870 is $470???
I just have a check, 5870 1GB is $390 on newegg...

mihir

VIP Member
What make you think crossfire/ SLi is not as good??

Read this review!
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3170/sapphire_radeon_hd_5830_video_card_in_crossfire/index.html

Single 5830 is as low as $180 after MIR. 2 x $180 = $360

750W ($110) PSU can push dual 5830/ GTX 460 without problem.
While with single 5870, you probably something like 500 - 550W ($65)

So at the end, you still save $65

Anyway, I suggest that purely because he said 5870 is $470???
I just have a check, 5870 1GB is $390 on newegg...

I agree CF performs good and sometimes better.
But it always has some drivier issues.
The heat generated is also very high.
And better to get one card which performs close to the CF and then CF latter.
That would save a PCI slot and make the computer more futureproof,
If the CF config begins to slack you would have no option but to sell both of them and buy a new card .
Instead you can just go for a single card and then CF later for a really good performance upgrade.