My Grandma wants a new desktop PC

So my grandmother wants a nice desktop PC and my sister who is also a wiz with computers just wants to buy her a pre-built from Bestbuy as she works there and can get a discount.

But i know i can build a very cheap PC that is good for emailing and browsing the internet as that all she does, the only benefits i can see of a pre-built from Bestbuy is the warranty but if I'm only using 20-50 dollar used PC parts if something dies or breaks its a cheap replacement.

So the short of all this is i can build a cheap PC for 200$ that is what she needs OR my sister can buy a pre-built for 400$ but you get some nice warranty.

Since most of us here love to get are hands dirty when it comes to PC Building, lets put that aspect aside and just focus on the subject of which is a better idea.

Intel_man

VIP Member
With such a dismal budget, I'd just go with a prebuilt. Unless you can snipe a bunch of good used parts.

Intel_man

VIP Member
$200 isn't really much. Like... you can't even buy a NUC with that money. Unless you grab a crappy Celeron.

beers

Staff member
It just seems like a better idea to save a couple hundred dollars and me build it
By the time you pay yourself the difference in putting it together, supporting it, warranty, etc, it's still cheaper to buy it from the store.

Personally I'd just get the discount from the store. Then when anything goes wrong it's not her ringing you up urgently to fix what is perceived to be your fault.

Cisco001

have you already got Windows? or is she prepare to use linux.
for low budget, prebuilt is much easier

Had a look at best buy, $380 can get i3 6100, 4gb ram, not bad.

Is your grandma techy? are you live close to her?
will she orr you able to fix the self built pc if it is faulty?

Last edited:
have you already got Windows? or is she prepare to use linux.
for low budget, prebuilt is much easier

Had a look at best buy, $380 can get i3 6100, 4gb ram, not bad.

Is your grandma techy? are you live close to her?
will she orr you able to fix the self built pc if it is faulty?

Not worried about the specs that's why i can make it a shitty self built because all its used for is emailing.

I can fix the self built no problem.

By the time you pay yourself the difference in putting it together, supporting it, warranty, etc, it's still cheaper to buy it from the store.

Personally I'd just get the discount from the store. Then when anything goes wrong it's not her ringing you up urgently to fix what is perceived to be your fault.

I guess so, its also a case of me wanting to get my hands dirty because i haven't in a couple months.

Laquer Head

She doesn't use a smart phone, Hence why i said learning a new OS.
My point is if you can use a phone, turn on a TV set, use a microwave...etc.. you can use a tablet o/s its not exactly complicated.

My grandmother turned 99 in November and she uses a PC (I built it for her), does email with grand kids, and she has an e-reader too.. If she can learn your gma can too!!

My point is if you can use a phone, turn on a TV set, use a microwave...etc.. you can use a tablet o/s its not exactly complicated.

My grandmother turned 99 in November and she uses a PC (I built it for her), does email with grand kids, and she has an e-reader too.. If she can learn your gma can too!!

And then at that point its her wanting to learn lol, she is a pretty stubborn gma.

Darren

Staff member
Look for a refurb/used desktop, self build just isn't economical. I sell i5 machines at work starting at $250 and for even $80 you could get a Core2Duo machine with Windows 7 (legit) on it. Not sure what kind of stores you have around but you can score stuff online too pretty easily that's refurb'd.

Agent Smith

Check out the Dell Optiplex 780. That's what I gave my parents and it works very well. You can upgrade the RAM and HDD to a SSD.