My graphics card is acting strangely

HappyPants

I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB plugged into a pretty old Inspiron 660, but it's acting strangely.

whenever I start my computer if I have my monitors plugged into my graphics card the computer won't boot and instead just angerly beeps at me.

also, my main monitor, which is plugged in via HDMI, keeps going black all the time and sometimes textures have som slight "red noise" on them. like the typical black and white noise, you'd see on old TVs but very small.

I don't know what is causing the problem nor how to fix it. I've restarted the computer, installed drivers, tested with multiple graphics cards and even reinstalled windows, but it still doesn't want to work.

please help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would assume the power supply is a cheap low wattage unit that is not giving the 1060 enough power to work properly. Or it could just be dying.

HappyPants

I would assume the power supply is a cheap low wattage unit that is not giving the 1060 enough power to work properly. Or it could just be dying.
I don’t think that’s it
I recently upgraded my power supply so that shouldn’t be a problem

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So if its doing it with multiple video cards then its something with either the motherboard or power supply. What exact power supply are you using?

HappyPants

I have a Corsair cx650m, but the “red noise problem” and the screen going black problem was fixed after I bought a new hdmi cable. However the problem where the computer won’t start if I have my monitors plugged into the graphics card still persists

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Tried the monitor on a different computer to verify monitor is ok? If it works normally then you can only assume something is up with video card. See if using a dvi cable work for the video cable.