My HP desktop won't play blockbuster DVDs

I don't know much about computers but I was wondering if someone here coule help me out. I have an HP desktop with a dvd writer/cd writer and when I put in Blockbuster dvds it doesn't even recognize that there is anything in the E drive. If I put it in the cd-rom drive it doesn't recongnize its in there either. I opened up windows media player and nothing. I was just expecting the movie to automatically play in windows media player or something.

Ethan3.14159

it may not be able to read that particular dvd type, and of course the cd drive wont recognize it. do you know the brand or model # of the dvd drive?

I got VLC because somebody else recommended it but like g25racer said it doesn't do me any good

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe the drive is locked to a certian region,i heard on some drives after playing some movies a number of times it locks the drive to that region code or something.

im sure it can be unlocked but dont ask me how,and it would probably be against the forum rules anyway :cool:

lovely?

odds are that isnt even the problem though. i would think that the laser diode has gone bad and a new dvd drive is needed. i do a lot of work with lasers and its a pretty common problem.

StrangleHold

Staff member
ahh well there you go then,just find out how to unlock it. :)

Not hard, just go to the control panel-system-hardware-device manager-find the drive, right click, hit properties-region code tab.

odds are that isnt even the problem though. i would think that the laser diode has gone bad and a new dvd drive is needed. i do a lot of work with lasers and its a pretty common problem.

Yea region is probable not the problem,plus could be hes mistaken that he has a DVD drive and not a plain CD burner. Thats the reason I ask what model HP it was.

Interested

you guys do know that blockbuster locks the dvds so that you cant watch them on the computer, right? I have already tried numerous times.

root

banned
Have you got any special software on there like cyberlink or powerdvd?
That might be the answer to your issue.