My HP desktop won't play blockbuster DVDs

dznutz

Yes but he did say he cannot play normal dvd's :rolleyes:

whoops. i didn't read the 2nd page. a couple of weeks ago my sister asked me why her blockbuster dvd's didn't work. it turned out to be blu-ray movies.

you guys do know that blockbuster locks the dvds so that you cant watch them on the computer, right? I have already tried numerous times.

no it still works and easily ripped

assuming data dvds work then it would seem that you don't have the dvd video program. check your hp cd's for it. something like cyberlink or windvd. the alternative, as mentioned, was to download vlc.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
you guys do know that blockbuster locks the dvds so that you cant watch them on the computer, right? I have already tried numerous times.

Oh? I watched one last week, and another the other day. In fact (dare I say...) I'm watching/listening to one in the background as I type:)

Interested

hm. maybe the dvd's i rented were special. but instead of them playing, i got a video which was a message from blockbuster....it said it wouldn't. i dont really remember. im not lying, lol, i have no reason to lie. but i truly think that this is the case.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yes and HP pavilion a520n

Well HP says it a DVD/RW

hm. maybe the dvd's i rented were special. but instead of them playing, i got a video which was a message from blockbuster....it said it wouldn't. i dont really remember. im not lying, lol, i have no reason to lie. but i truly think that this is the case.

I,m not saying your untruthfull I,ve just never had a problem with them. But you said you get a pop up about them being blockbuster where hes getting nothing.

BellyBump.gif

So what do I need to do so I can watch them?

Invisible Man

i highly doubt they are.
Both my pc and laptop have no problem playing dvd from blockbuster.

When was the last time you watch movie on your pc using the same dvd rom . Does your hp pc have a program called pc doctor that come with hp oem packet, and if it does have it use it. The program is a self diagnostic test everything from all the hardware and any device plug into the pc. Run the dvd rom test. Microsofts have a program called autofix that can test your dvd or cd drive and see what is the problem with your drive.

Last edited:

Both my pc and laptop have no problem playing dvd from blockbuster.

When was the last time you watch movie on your pc using the same dvd rom . Does your hp pc have a program called pc doctor that come with hp oem packet, and if it does have it use it. The program is a self diagnostic test everything from all the hardware and any device plug into the pc. Run the dvd rom test. Microsofts have a program called autofix that can test your dvd or cd drive and see what is the problem with your drive.

I ran pc doctor and did the dvd movie test. It said "please insert a non blank dvd into the drive" so I did. Then it did nothing and after a while the dvd drive opened up again and it said "please insert a non blank dvd into the drive" I hit okay to try again but it wouldn't even recognize that there was a dvd in there.

Invisible Man

I ran pc doctor and did the dvd movie test. It said "please insert a non blank dvd into the drive" so I did. Then it did nothing and after a while the dvd drive opened up again and it said "please insert a non blank dvd into the drive" I hit okay to try again but it wouldn't even recognize that there was a dvd in there.
so it did not pass all the test right. now click---->http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en download this and run the test and if your dvd fail. Take your dvd rom out and asked someone if they have a dvd rom and install onto your pc to see if it can play the movie, and if the borrow dvd rom play the movie. Than you know your answer to your question. good luck

I had an hp pc with dvd rom only and a lot of time it doesn't alway play movie. I decide to install lg dvd writer with lightscribe and since than I had no problem watching movie from blockbuster. Blockbuster dvd is no different from anyone else.

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
I play blockbuster DVDs all the time without problems, so I would say you have a faulty drive. Try it in another computer to verify.