My htpc build (long) please help

Elohssa6

New Member
Hello....My name is Evan and this is my first post....AND ALSO MY FIRST BUILD


I am not a computer guy at all, and had never considered doing anything other than buying a computer from dell....

I was in need of a new desktop computer so I started doing a little research....Long story short, after about a month of research I want to build my first HTPC....I may or may not actually BUILD it myself, but I do want to buy the parts on my own so I know what I am getting and putting into my setup.....

I have an existing 22" flat panel monitor (my existing PC is using this) and 42" flatpanel TV....

They are roughly 15' apart

I plan to keep my new HTPC under the TV and have the ability to hide a 15' DVI or VGA wire back to my existing monitor....And run an HDMI wire from the PC to my TV

The functions I am looking for this machine to do are:

I am looking to build something strong enough to perform multiple functions at once, such as using the TV and working at the monitor at the same time ect. I also would like enough space to store movies, music and pictures ect.

On the Monitor:
Standard Internet surfing, moderate word processing, light duty photo and video editing, downloading of music/movies ect.... (nothing the average person wouldnt do on a standard PC)

On the TV and surround sound:

Cable TV, DVR, Blue Ray playing/storage, Windows Media Center use, music playing, Xbox360/PS3 gaming ect.


I have already bought

The HTPC case I wanted from New egg....(the only wood HTPC case available)

ATI TV wonder internal tuner for "cableCARD"


I have spec'd out a few possible combinations for hardware but cant really decide on anything for sure.....thats basically what made me come here....

Here is a sample of what I am looking into buying, please critique/modify/give advice where ever you feel I am going wrong

LOOKING TO BUY:

CPU
Intel Core i5-660 Clarkdale 3.33GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core

Motherboard

Intel BOXDH55HC LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM Memory
Patriot G Series 'Sector 5' Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Blue Ray Drive
LITE-ON Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal BD-COMBO

Power Supply
Undecided

Operating System
Windows 7

Does it look like I am missing anything? Where am I going wrong? What do you think?

I havent really considered a budget for this project yet, but something in the $800-$1000 range (not including what I have already bought) seems like where I'll end up


If you wouldnt mind taking to time to help out it would be greatly appreciated


Thanks EVAN:confused:
 
I dont really do any gaming, I figured that the HDMI on the motherboard would suffice for standard HDTV and blueray applications...

If I do go with a video card, would I see any upgrade in BlueRay/TV applications?

I am going to build this computer once so I dont want to leave anything out LOL
 
So if I buy a video card with HDMI/VGA/DVI outputs, then I dont need to buy a mobo with HDMI output al all right?
 
so if you are gong to be having your monitor 15 feet or so from your pc case, then you will nee to have a wireless heyboard and mouse so that you can take it from your couch to your monitor to be able to work at the desk. you need to be sure that you get one that has good range since the receiver for the keyboard would more than likley be at the case by your tv. im not to sure on whats good for range, but i would think that either an rf or bluetooth would be good. also im sure your gong to have your pc hooked up the the internet so you may need a long ethernet wire to reach from your modem to your pc, unless you have a wireless router, in which case you may need to get a wireless adapter. if you need anymore input feel free to ask, and ill try to help. i currently am also making an htpc as a file server for the rest of my computers, and do pretty much the same things that you are as far as watching my bucked up dvds on my tv, and surf the web on my 32 in tv as well
 
I planned on getting a new wireless keyboard and mouse....I am looking at maybe the Gyration keyboard and "air" mouse....seems like the mouse will work similar to a "wii remote" something to consider although pretty expensive....

I have wireless internet from a new 'N' router.....I will need to have something to recieve the wireless signal....I would prefer internal....any suggestions? If theres one thing I cant stand, its a slow connection so something on the higher end is what im looking for....

I am not very clear on how to setup the 2 monitor system and maybe Im a little premature in asking but here goes:

I will have a short HDMI wire coming from my PC to the 42" plasma and a 15' DVI/VGA wire to my 20" monitor.... Will I be able to surf the web, play a game or listen to sound (small PC speakers) coming from what is on the monitor, while someone watches TV or DVD on the PC and listens to those sounds through the surround sound and built in speakers on the plasma???

Does that make any sense?
 
I am not very clear on how to setup the 2 monitor system and maybe Im a little premature in asking but here goes:

I will have a short HDMI wire coming from my PC to the 42" plasma and a 15' DVI/VGA wire to my 20" monitor.... Will I be able to surf the web, play a game or listen to sound (small PC speakers) coming from what is on the monitor, while someone watches TV or DVD on the PC and listens to those sounds through the surround sound and built in speakers on the plasma???

Does that make any sense?

i see a problem here, usually you can't run a program full screen on one monitor and do something else on the other one. you would have to run all programs in a window, which would make your tv viewing experience less so.

they sell some video adapters that let you do this, but i can't remember what they're called.

The functions I am looking for this machine to do are:

I am looking to build something strong enough to perform multiple functions at once, such as using the TV and working at the monitor at the same time ect. I also would like enough space to store movies, music and pictures ect.

On the Monitor:
Standard Internet surfing, moderate word processing, light duty photo and video editing, downloading of music/movies ect.... (nothing the average person wouldnt do on a standard PC)

On the TV and surround sound:

Cable TV, DVR, Blue Ray playing/storage, Windows Media Center use, music playing, Xbox360/PS3 gaming ect.

I have already bought

The HTPC case I wanted from New egg....(the only wood HTPC case available)

ATI TV wonder internal tuner for "cableCARD"

I have spec'd out a few possible combinations for hardware but cant really decide on anything for sure.....thats basically what made me come here....

Here is a sample of what I am looking into buying, please critique/modify/give advice where ever you feel I am going wrong

LOOKING TO BUY:

CPU
Intel Core i5-660 Clarkdale 3.33GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core

Motherboard

Intel BOXDH55HC LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM Memory
Patriot G Series 'Sector 5' Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Blue Ray Drive
LITE-ON Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal BD-COMBO

Power Supply
Undecided

Operating System
Windows 7

Does it look like I am missing anything? Where am I going wrong? What do you think?
I havent really considered a budget for this project yet, but something in the $800-$1000 range (not including what I have already bought) seems like where I'll end up
Thanks EVAN:confused:

i don't know why you need 8gb ram. what exactly is your idea of 'light duty' photo and video editing? you can save some money by going with a mini-itx mobo and/or 2x2gb ram; you can always upgrade later if you really need it.

also, i don't think you need an extra video card. integrated intel gpus are generally good at high def video, the new H55 should be ok. i mean what's the point of stuffing a gpu onboard it it's useless? that's because it's not.

i don't know how much you're paying for that 2T drive, but you can save some money by going with 2x 1TB drives or at least improve your chances against data loss.
 
I just recieved my ATI wonder DCT.......

It is designed to accept my cable company's "cable card" to allow me to get premium programing ect.

I dont think that it has 2 tuners so I wont have the ability to record and watch at the same time.....

If I buy another tuner card, I guess I wont be able to record/watch 2 premium channels at once???

I am going to admit it right now, that i am in WAY OVER MY HEAD
 
I think I have figured out what I am missing from my system, but will have to wait....

CHECK THIS OUT

a CableCard 4tuner internal tuner card HERE
 
Back
Top