My i5 PC died last night...

Twiki

Luckily I have an i3 system in storage. I thought I'll call it a night as it was late and go to bed. Instead I tossed and turned because I hated the thought of not having a working system on hand.

I got up and went to work. :eek:

I pulled the hard drive, the 2x4 memory and the Seasonic PSU out of the i5 and use them in my i3 system.

Here I am at 5 am and tired as hell but happy. :D

Something burned in the i5 box and off and on I was smelling something burning but thought it was the neighbor burning trash. Seems it was my PC instead. I got up to go pee and it was off when I came back. I pressed power and the lights just flickered and again nothing. Deader than dead. :confused:

I guess I'll have to save up for a new build but I'm saving up to get new tires for my Taurus. Inspection is due in December.

Such is life. :(

By the way, the i5 is 3rd gen and the i3 is 2nd gen. Had them since 2012. Built the i3 system on a budget and bought good parts for the i5 build on a monthly basis. I used the i3 box for 7-8 months so plenty of life left.

Last edited:

Twiki

Thanks but don't feel bad. The i3 PC works good surprisingly now that I put in more memory (4 to 8), better graphic card (HD6670 DDR3 to HD7770 DDR5) and my system HDD as well as the better PSU. The box was built as a Celeron G540 system upgraded to i3.

I have some stuff in the queue for a build later. It'll be a Ryzen system on a near budget (middle shelf).

@Agent-funny but not funny. :rolleyes:

Darren

Staff member
Thanks but don't feel bad. The i3 PC works good surprisingly now that I put in more memory (4 to 8), better graphic card (HD6670 DDR3 to HD7770 DDR5) and my system HDD as well as the better PSU. The box was built as a Celeron G540 system upgraded to i3.

I have some stuff in the queue for a build later. It'll be a Ryzen system on a near budget (middle shelf).

@Agent-funny but not funny. :rolleyes:

Definitely not funny.

Agent Smith

Well for God's sake. He got all TMIey and I'm like trying to make it funny. He could have made it hysterical by saying, " I went to the bathroom to take a fat shit, came back and my computer blew up like my ass. :D

Anyway... Sorry about the puter, bro. What model was the power supply? If it was shit then there you go. I buy Antec myself and so far so good. *crosses fingers and knocks on the thickest wooden canoe known to man.*

Twiki

I'm not offended so no worry mate. :cool:

It's either the board or the CPU but I'm hoping the CPU is still good. I want to replace the i3 with it but only after I built another system. Since I'm not playing guitar anymore I went ahead and put up my guitar and amp on CL to build a fund. I'm already saving up for a set of tires so that's top priority.

Agent Smith

CPUs typically don't give up the ghost from what I read. But a motherboard will.

Be careful with CL. Always, Always meet in a public place to conduct the trade. It may not be so bad in a moderate low crime sized town, but even then you have to beware of a thug with a knife or gun that robs you blind, etc. I've read countless stories.

I use eBay myself, and granted there are people who don't care for it, I've been pretty lucky not to have any problems. I'm mostly a buyer though. If I do sell items I make damn sure the title is as exact as possible as it seems stupid people don't even bother reading the whole auction at all. I've heard of people selling broken electronics like phones and they clearly state that in the auction only to have the asshat buyer open a case saying said phone was broken. *face desk* And yet eBay in their infinite wisdom will side with the buyer. So I stray away from selling any and all electronics on eBay. Especially if it's broke. I have sold a CPU on eBay once though and that worked out. In fact, the CPU I have now listed in my Sig was bought on eBay for a damn good price compared to the cost of new. I was hopping it worked when I put my rig together, and it did. I'm now thinking about upgrading to an i7 6700 for a single core boost for my Sim.

Twiki

I'm aware of this and I did pretty good. I'm licensed to carry and always armed. The folks that come to look at my stuff had been good folks. Our first contact is always by phone and I'll be the judge whether the deal happens or not. Yes there are bad people out there but there's good people too.

I'm sure it's the motherboard that died and kinda surprised because it's a "Ultra Durable" board, kinda heavy duty stuff. probably a VR module that took a dump.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I would never go out armed, I'm glad its illegal here. Personally I would do my dealings in a public place, where there are witnesses and most likely cameras and security. If something were to happen then I would give up my stuff willingly, decreasing the chances of people getting injured. I would leave it to trained professionals like the police to investigate and claim for my losses on my insurance.

Twiki

You may not be aware of some changes in Texas laws. We are now (since 2016) open carry and bans lifted on carrying illegal weapons.

OmniDyne

You may not be aware of some changes in Texas laws. We are now (since 2016) open carry and bans lifted on carrying illegal weapons.

Ah so they changed it. When I lived in Texas in 2014, you couldn't have a loaded hand gun in your personal vehicle. So they finally caught up.

Twiki

I don't know where you learned that but you can legally carry a concealed gun without a license inside your vehicle since 2007.

It's called Motorist Protection Act, enacted Sept 1, 2007.

Agent Smith

I would love to live in Texas. Right near the ocean. Of course I have to then worry about hurricanes. I'm tired of the turf and want to live by the surf! Or maybe the pan handle of Florida. Somewhere warm and near the ocean.