My Laptop Is Stuck In Dos

eyegotbeats

My niece got on my laptop and loaded up the system recovery and i believe she must have shut off the computer during the "recovery" so now everytime i load up windows it says it's missing a certain .dll file and i need to re-install it, my problem is i never got an actual windows cd..its on the system recovery drive. How can i re-install windows? i believe i was running windows media center edition, everytime i try to set up windows it says "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your compiter and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturuer-supplied diagnostic or steup program.

Setup cannot Continue. To quit setup, press F3

its also the hal dll file that's missing.

Last edited:

eyegotbeats

I've gotten a disc, but the "HARD DRIVE DISK ERROR" i described in the first post is still coming up...any suggestions??

eyegotbeats

check out ebay.co.uk or ebay.com Pick up a copy pretty cheap...
i just said i have a disc of windows xp, but the "hard disk error" keeps showing up...and i can't reinstall windows xp if you want to know EXACTLY what it says look in the first post...please can anyone help me???

IlluminatedSheep

To be fair to the people who answered you, in your first post you said
my problem is i never got an actual windows cd..
Are you actually able to boot from the disc?

Trizoy

VIP Member
You insert the disc and reofrmat, you should not get a HD error as it is loading from the CD.

gurra92

Have you selected the CD/DVD-ROM drive as a boot sequence? You'll have to do that in BIOS. You'll have to make sure the computer is booting from the CD.