My laptop is very slow, why?

Zatar1234

Hi everyone I hope you doing great!

I have an issue, my laptop is really slow and idk why really, already defragment the hdd, I clean the laptop, change the thermal paste, update windows, eliminate most of the startup programs, clean the hard drive in general, check for disk errors, windows errors and also verify that it doesn't have malware or virus in general and still it's kinda laggy the especifications are:

HP Pavilion DV6-6c75la
8GB of RAM
AMD A8 3520m
AMD Radeon HD 6620G
Hard Drive 500GB

Also the temperature is nice is between 47 to 51 c°

Thank you for reading this and if you're going to answer, for wasting your time to help me haha

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Laggy at doing what? Use task manager to see if cpu,memory or disk usage is high. What malware programs did you use? What Antivirus software do you have?

Zatar1234

Laggy at doing what? Use task manager to see if cpu,memory or disk usage is high. What malware programs did you use? What Antivirus software do you have?

Hi John!

in Task Manager 20% of CPU 30% Memory and between 70 and 80% of Disk

the program that I use for Malware is Malwarebytes Free and NOD Antivirus 32 8

Zatar1234

But what is it specifically laggy at doing?

It is laggy all the time it takes a minute to start windows and when i'm on deskopt withouth doing anything just movin' the mouse the visual movement it's laggy and when I open a folder or an app it takes a few seconds and it feels like it could just freeze the computer

I thought it was the CPU gettin' really hot cause it was like 90 c° before but now on 45° it's still the same :(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How long has it been doing this? Have you tried doing a system restore back to a day when it was working fine. This may be a heat issue. What brand of hard drive is it? Would also run the drive manufacturers diagnostic utility on it.

Okedokey

Reinstall windows mate, all machines need that from time to time. You can chase your tail with performance issues like this and I think it is often best to back up files and reinstall.

beers

Staff member
What brand of hard drive is it? Would also run the drive manufacturers diagnostic utility on it.
This really, laptop drives are subjected to rough conditions and depending on how they're handled and used often will fail at an exponentially higher rate than desktop drives.

Delt4ninj4

I recommend you get an SSD for your laptop. SSD's don't have moving parts, just flash memory so they're quick. Get whatever size you'd like, backup whatever user files you want (so like pictures, documents), take out the old drive (it's an HP laptop so it might be a pain), install the SSD, reinstall Windows, and put back any of your user files that you want on there.

EDIT: Brands I recommend for an SSD: Samsung / Crucial. I also highly recommend going to https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ for finding good deals on parts.

-Delt4ninj4

Computerage

The high disk usage could explain the slowness. Either the hard drive is failing or there are a ton of background programs slowing everything down. You could try using Ccleaner if you haven't already, as it can clear the registry as well as junk files.

Geoff

VIP Member
The high disk usage could explain the slowness. Either the hard drive is failing or there are a ton of background programs slowing everything down. You could try using Ccleaner if you haven't already, as it can clear the registry as well as junk files.
Eh you really can't trust what Task Manager says about disk utilization, even if it's just 1-2MB/s I've seen it say that it was near 100% utilization.