My New Build

Grey410

After 4 years of a couple upgrades I finally bought it:
Core i5 760, COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, ASUS P7P55D-E Pro SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, two GTX 460 EVGA 768M cards for SLI, Corsair 750 Watt PSU, 64GB Crucial SSD Sata III for the OS, 128GB Crucial Sata III for the games, and a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green for the music, movies, and pics, Asus DVD burner, LG Blu-Ray Player/Burner, Antec P193 Gunmetal Gray Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case, and 8GB of Gskill Ripjaw Ram. Oh and Windows 7 Home.

Building it tomorrow night when I get back from a business trip. Parts are already at home waiting.

jevery

Nice build. I like the dual SSD setup - First person I've seen to do that. I also like the chambered case and the SLI setup. I'd be interested to see some benches on those Crucial drives and also know how you like the Blu-Ray drive. I've be thinking of getting one.

fastdude

Interesting choice on the case. I've heard 212+ is a pain to install. Like the dual SSD setup.
However, for $55 cheaper than the price of your graphics card after rebate, you could have got this which would be slightly slower, but leaves room for a second and better value. Nice choices on the core components, though Sandy Bridge is only a few weeks away :/

CrayonMuncher

You could have gotten away with a smaller SSD for the OS.

i dont think its always so good to have a small drive/partition for the os as the os itself takes up quite and bit and many. many things use temp folders on the windows drive and most things (installation/downloads) are defaulted to go the os drive, although easy to change it's very annoying to have to re-install a massive program, or move just cause you forgot.

Benny Boy

i dont think its always so good to have a small drive/partition for the os as the os itself takes up quite and bit and many. many things use temp folders on the windows drive and most things (installation/downloads) are defaulted to go the os drive, although easy to change it's very annoying to have to re-install a massive program, or move just cause you forgot.

Naw,,all you have to do is move the user folders (user/default/public) when you set up windows accounts during installation, and then remove the ones windows put on C:. Then all you have to do is change the drive letter when installing.
As for those that go to C: by default- there's a way to change that so that C: isnt the default location. So a person could,,after setting up the ssd(s) with the wanted programs, change the default install location to a hdd, and switch it back only when they want to. Then, altho when you have one your more alert of install/uninstal, if you forget and it goes to hdd when you wanted it on ssd, it's not that big a deal. It may be a good place for it anyways if you havn't invstigated alt. storage/write reducing tweaks for that prog, but you want to use it.

Multi ssd is great because you can spread out the writes. Small ones are handy as dedicated for browser cashe-pagefile if you have one-temps files-, anything you want speed from that you don't want on the main ssd(s)...instead of a slower hdd or ram disc.

Last edited:

Grey410

Interesting choice on the case. I've heard 212+ is a pain to install. Like the dual SSD setup.
However, for $55 cheaper than the price of your graphics card after rebate, you could have got this which would be slightly slower, but leaves room for a second and better value. Nice choices on the core components, though Sandy Bridge is only a few weeks away :/

The case was actually my roommates old case but he's moving around a lot and left it here for me to use so it's free ($185 saved there).

I chose NVIDIA because I've had nothing but bad luck with ATI cards in the past (overheating, artifacting at stock speeds etc).

CrayonMuncher

Naw,,all you have to do is move the user folders (user/default/public) when you set up windows accounts during installation, and then remove the ones windows put on C:. Then all you have to do is change the drive letter when installing.
As for those that go to C: by default- there's a way to change that so that C: isnt the default location. So a person could,,after setting up the ssd(s) with the wanted programs, change the default install location to a hdd, and switch it back only when they want to. Then, altho when you have one your more alert of install/uninstal, if you forget and it goes to hdd when you wanted it on ssd, it's not that big a deal. It may be a good place for it anyways if you havn't invstigated alt. storage/write reducing tweaks for that prog, but you want to use it.

Multi ssd is great because you can spread out the writes. Small ones are handy as dedicated for browser cashe-pagefile if you have one-temps files-, anything you want speed from that you don't want on the main ssd(s)...instead of a slower hdd or ram disc.

yes i know it is very easy thats not the point i was making, i was trying to show that if you have the money for larger ssd for your os partition then you may as well go for it because over time stuff can fill up if you forget to change things over, its happened to me before and going through the windows drive (at least with the way i organize things) is more work than going through storage drives.

Benny Boy

going through the windows drive (at least with the way i organize things) is more work than going through storage drives.
Yes sir. I did mean to say that I agree with you that you don't want to shortchange yourself on C: space. If for no other reason than the controller likes having unused flash sittin' around. Makes it easier on it. So short stroking it or making sure you dont fill it up is good (i think 20% reserve is a guidline).
I'm not quit understanding what you said here ^.

CrayonMuncher

i find my storage drives have stuff easily labeled on them whereas the windows drive is not always easy to locate whats taking up all the space due to the amount of folders and sub folders, not hard just time consuming.
My storage drives dont have that many folders.
simple example, maybe not the best example but shows my point.
a default download folder

D:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Downloads

on my storage drive it looks like this.

E:\downloads

what i was getting at is that with the way i do things i find it easier looking on storage drives than the windows drive.
Ive kind of forgotten what i was talking about now :)
Oh yeah thats why i prefer having a larger OS partition/drive, doesnt fill up as quickly

Last edited:

Benny Boy

Well, since the goal in the Windows ssd drive (c: ) is to not have anything taking up the space, I moved those folder/subs storage location to the hdd but they're still accessable from the Start menu.
After 4 years of a couple upgrades I finally bought it:
Sorry Grey. WTG btw. How bout some eye candy when your done.

CrayonMuncher

Well, since the goal in the Windows ssd drive (c: ) is to not have anything taking up the space, I moved those folder/subs storage location to the hdd but they're still accessable from the Start menu.

Sorry Grey. WTG btw. How bout some eye candy when your done.

really need to finish this as we are going way off topic.

of course things like my documents are in the start menu regardless of where you put them, you can put anything on the start menu, really easily what i showed was an example of drawn out directory path on the windows drive in comparison to a download folder i had specified.
i was trying to show that os's in general can sometimes bury things quite deep as opposed to a storage drive, hence making it easier to find large files and delete them to free up space.
i said it wasnt the best example just one that was easy to show.
As i said that is just what i have found in the past with my smaller drives.

Grey410

The P195 can use CPX power supplies...why didn't you grab one of those?

I have the Antec P182 my bad. Like I said my roommates old case so I used it for free. Don't really care for the case actually but it's free. Kinda wish I'd have bought something new and flashy but it's still a nice case.

I got my new computer up finally (had to reinstall due to Win 7 corrupting an update) but other than that the install took 10 min and the setup was a breeze. Booted first try and no hardware issues at all. I freaking LOVE the SSD's SUPER snappy performance and windows is IMMEDIATELY available when you boot. My windows experience score for the hard drive is 7.9.

Call of Duty Black Ops now plays smoothly and I am back to #1 when I play on a server.