My new comp runs slower than my old P4 one, why?

wxyz1006

Hey guys,

I just built a new computer. here are the stats

Windows XP SP 3
AMD Athlon 62 x2 Dual core 5000+
Kingston 2GB DDR2 PC2 6400 (800MHz)
Motherboard: MSI K9A Platinum
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT OC (512MB)
250 SeaGate hard drive

Although they arent the latest components, I was expecting it to be faster than my old P4 computer. surprisingly, it runs slower than my previous comp. takes over a minute to boot and about 20 seconds to shut down, and it lags whenever i open anything. what's wrong with it? Help me pleaseeee!!!

Mez

In the BIOS, do you have the hard drive first? And where did you get your mobo from? It doesnt come up on newegg

wxyz1006

Thank you for replying my post :)

I have CD-Rom first, then Hard drive second in my booting sequence.

I bought my motherboard from Fry's long time ago. it's called MSI K9A Platinum Series MS-7280 (V1.X) Mainboard (G52-72801X2-Q05)

PS: it took me over 1.5 hour to install my windows T_T. that's abnormal right?

danajanesis

yeah, it's a quite abnormal.. did you make a clean reformat? if yes then, check first if all your hardwares are running smoothly.. if it is running good then i guess your hardwares are not compatible with each other.. ^_^

cohen

You have an AMD CPU, uninstall SP3 and then see if it is any quicker, i had the same problem and it was because of i have an AMD CPU, so if you have SP2 and it is all up to date, you don't need to have SP3

sho95

Make sure you got latest bios. Could be a bad xp install try installing with another cd drive and make sure your disk is clean.