my new comp :)

bowen

just thought i would register to a cool looking forum and throw my spec's up :p they aren't the best but was on tight budget! check out my signature for them :)

bowen

so how's my setup? was built with a tight budget all of it costed around $500NZD including gst and shipping

Troncoso

VIP Member
I will say you could have done a better job with the graphics card, but besides that if you spend like $10 more on the CPU you could have gotten the phenom ii x4 955, which would have been a nice upgrade.

bowen

yeah i got the GPU before everything else to upgrade another comp, just gonna use it till i get my hands on a couple nicer ones and crossfire them. maybe sell my previous system and get the 955 or a x6? will my psu handle a x6 and crossfired GPU's though :p

Troncoso

VIP Member
The x6 would be a waste of money. And cross firing isn't really necessary. Just get a single, nice card.

jonnyp11

first thing i would do would be to get my hands on 4gb's dual channel 1600mhz (if supported, otherwize good 1333 with low latency) ram. never heard of that brand psu so i'd say you'd want a new one to put in a gtx 460, they love their power, and going for the min is bad, you want about 50w headroom.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You just need a better video card, You dont have a SLI or Crossfire board. Instead of getting two 6770 or 460. Get a 6950 or GTX 560ti.

You need more memory. 1gb. just aint kicking it. atleast 4gb.

You need a better power supply. Stick with Antec/Seaconic/PC Power & Cooling/Silverstone/XFX/Corsair. For a single 6950 or GTX 560ti something in the range of 650W and have some overhead.

bowen

says it can take dual channel memory, was on a very tight budget and not needing the ram at the moment not doing anything hearty but will be looking at pumping it up a whole lot as the mobo can take 32gb! Thanks for the great opinions and telling me about all the great options i have you guy's are hell awesome. :) i thought i would be able to crossfire on this board silly me! as i said didnt look over anything to much, the cheaper and decent looking items caught my attention and needed something better than what i was running quick!

bowen

was running a foxconn a6vmx am2/am2+ mobo with 4gb ram and that GPU but have had the mobo for about 4-5 years!

jonnyp11

for the ram, 4 is plenty and 8 is overkill, and 6 won't allow dual channel since no 3gb sticks, using 2 sticks goes into dual channel and boosts performance, and 4 is more than enough, also remeber, that power supply will need to go if you ever want a real gpu, you will need an antec/corsair/pc p&c/xfx/silverstone/seasonic 550-600 for most gpus to get enough power.

bowen

any ideas on cheap good quality dual channel RAM? is the g-skill ripjaws series good? everyone seems to be using it

StrangleHold

Staff member
i thought i would be able to crossfire on this board silly me! as i said didnt look over anything to much

You cant SLI, but technically you can crossfire. But the second PCIe slot is running X4 off the southbridge. You would still be better off getting a better single card.

bowen

hmm thanks, any opinions on the mobo itself? wasnt very expensive at all :p and seems to be decent quality in my opinion.

StrangleHold

Staff member
hmm thanks, any opinions on the mobo itself? wasnt very expensive at all :p and seems to be decent quality in my opinion.

Well they make a 870A and 870S-G46. Never really could tell what the difference is. But they are a ok board. A midrange 870 board. Pretty sure the board has the bios option, have you tried to unlock the L3 cache on that Phenom II 850?

Last edited:

bowen

so really the best thing i bought was the mobo :) everything else ill upgrade in the near future!

bowen

is that what the diff between the 850 and 955 is the l3 cache? ive had a look at the bios unlocking option's found the core unlocker but will have to look further into unlocking the cache!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Enable the core unlocker and set it to auto or all. Reboot, if it boots look at CPUz and see if it shows 6mb. of L3