my new idea/invension to end all hot cards due to SLI

Cheese

banned
OK, i will have pictures up soon. In SLI you have 2 cards (in this case anyway) and when you have to bulky cards such as the 8800 GTX, when you put both on at once, the fans have a very limited amount of airflow do to being so close. my idea, an adapter to make the 2nd card (lower card) to be placed 180* clockwise so that the fan is facing down (aka the opposite direction as the top one) so both cards get a good amount of air. Now, before you say anything, the 2nd card is not needed to hookup anything outside the case, so even if the DVI adapters are in the case they wont be needed because SLI only uses 1 card to connect to for a monitor. so now both cards can be cooled good even in SLI. please, before you criticize, let me have time to get pictures to show what i mean. go ahead and make a comment on my idea, but please be open to new things. :)

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Yeah, nice idea. Except that you'll block out alot of other expansion slots, and that they already have good airflow. SLi ports are like 1-2 expansion ports away from each other. Plenty of airflow.

littleblackxj

That and the pci would be on the wrong side.
EDIT: o, you meant the front would be on the back, not the opposite.
Why go through that trouble and just get a good cfm fan?

Cheese

banned
new cards are huge, and not all motherboard are the same. many times people SLI and the cards are close to each other because the heatsinks are so bulky that air room is not so good. why do this? thats like asking why would anyone go to lengths for a phase change cooler? liquid nitrogen? the cards are not getting any less hot. this will keep them cool even in SLI heat.

UriA702

plus, if the fan is placed upside down it'll suck in warm air (hot air rises)
the way wind works hot air rises and cool air comes in to replace it resulting in wind, thats how airflow works in a computer case as well, so placing it upside down will not be the most efficient way to cool the card, it might drop the temperature, however not significantly.

The build i have done with SLI i have placed a pci slot fan under both cards and that drew out some of the hot air, drops the temp of each cards about 5 degrees c.

littleblackxj

plus, if the fan is placed upside down it'll suck in warm air (hot air rises)
the way wind works hot air rises and cool air comes in to replace it resulting in wind, thats how airflow works in a computer case as well, so placing it upside down will not be the most efficient way to cool the card, it might drop the temperature, however not significantly.

The build i have done with SLI i have placed a pci slot fan under both cards and that drew out some of the hot air, drops the temp of each cards about 5 degrees c.
Yes but the pressure difference due to temperature is so small it would be indifferent in that regard.
Airflow in a computer works via fans :)