my new Laptop is slow

_Pete_

You have 2 Gb in a "new" laptop? You need at least 4Gb and 8 would be good. Yes Windows is very RAM hungry. Linux is better if you want to go down that road.

bolobolo

You have 2 Gb in a "new" laptop? You need at least 4Gb and 8 would be good. Yes Windows is very RAM hungry. Linux is better if you want to go down that road.
sum of memory process is only 30 % but it shows that the total is 70 % .so its true that windows use the 40 %?

_Pete_

It doesn't matter. All that is completely irrelevant. You need more RAM. Go out and buy some.

beers

Staff member
Which specific laptop did you buy? I'd return it for something better as it sounds like you bought the cheapest one possible.

That RAM quantity is insufficient. Even my home router has more RAM than that. I imagine the other components are low end as well, however, making it more cost effective to consider a different unit/platform.

_Kyle_

Your RAM is ridiculously low, like the others said. You really need to add more. On a low end PC like I would assume yours is, you should probably consider a clean install of another OS. Something lightweight would help tremendously with the low end components. If you don't feel like installing a new OS, at least try deleting some pesky bloatware.

_Glitch

Even though your computer only uses 1,4 gig on idle (you said it used 70% of 2gig) doesn't mean you don't need more RAM.
You computer is saving on the RAM. Being careful it doesn't run out.

If you add more RAM, the computer will start using more. The less you have the more it will try and save on your RAM.
I am using 2,5 on idle on 8gigs RAM.

Bionix

Darren

Staff member
16Gb + you will see difference
Not in day to day workloads no... If you're only using 5GB of RAM at a time for instance it doesn't matter if you have 8, 16, or even 64GB of RAM. You're still going to just be using the 5GB.