My new rig

It seems like the use of thermal paste has never actually been clear, some say to just put a small dot the size of a pea in the center and the pressure between the HSF and CPU will spread it out, others do it his way.
 
Nice pc but way over priced. Someone who can build and over clock there own could match that for probably 1,000 less if not more. But still awesome pc.
 
I didn't even watch the video until you pointed this out. I thought your suppose to put a pea size amount and spread? Should we do the X thing??? I'll be putting my system together this weekend. Side note did you see the price of this case $850.00 WOW...:eek:
 
Wow, that case is bigger then it looks!

I would think the pea sized paste in the middle would work better, spreading out from the middle would get the air out.
 
I didn't even watch the video until you pointed this out. I thought your suppose to put a pea size amount and spread? Should we do the X thing???

Listen, as the other guy says "grain sized blob method?" and then we see the "goobery gob, paint an X + Dots" method.

No way you should put that much paste on there, no way...

BB sized blob is all you need. Too much paste, and it will insulate the heatsink from the cpu. (prevent heat from transferring) I like these pics alot.

Pea.jpg
Pea2.jpg
 
It depends on heatsink. I have xigmatek dark knight which has direct heatpipe touch so i have to apply thermal paste a little bit differently.

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines.jpg
HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines_Spread.jpg
 
Back
Top