My new XTi :)

Geoff

VIP Member
I just purchased the Canon Rebel XTi, 55-300mm telephoto lens, Canon starter case with extra battery and UV filter, as well as a 60" tripod. I bought them at Best Buy, everything together was $830, which I thought was a great deal.

I haven't had too many chances to use it yet, but I already love this camera! I'm stepping up from an S3 IS, so I'm already somewhat familiar with the Canon GUI and it's features, which is why I decided to go with it. I was looking at the E-510 and D60, but the XTi seemed to be the best overall, especially the package deal.

All I have are some stock photos, but they are better then nothing :)

canon_xti.jpg

xti_telephotolens.jpg

Bulzeye11

I was looking at the XT and the XTi but i was thinking of getting the XT b/c i dont need the extra stuff on the XTi

Geoff

VIP Member
I've been looking at getting a higher quality IS telephoto lens, although they run about $600, but after spending this much on a camera I didn't feel like spending that much more on a lens, haha, this one works fine for now though.

OMEGA
What kind of stuff do u shoot?
I mainly shoot landscapes. I'm in Phoenix right now, and this afternoon we are going on a scenic drive up into the mountains, so hopefully I will get some good shots there.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
higher quality IS telephoto lens, although they run about $600
Hehe that's pretty cheap! If you look hard enough you can get a 500mm zoom for under $800 ... but you get what you pay for...

Geoff

VIP Member
Hehe that's pretty cheap! If you look hard enough you can get a 500mm zoom for under $800 ... but you get what you pay for...
haha, ya, you're right. But in relation to the cost of the camera it's pretty expensive :p For what I paid for the 55-300mm lens though, I'm really happy, I just won't be able to take pictures in low-light situations when i'm near full zoom.

I got the same camera. It's real nice. Have fun with it.
Ya, I really like it. I keep forgetting to change the settings though, I went around today with the WB set to daylight, when it was extremely cloudy. I was wondering why everything had a red tint to it :p

Bulzeye11

just my opinion
but u should have maybe got the Xt and used the extra money for other lens
that is what im gonna do when i get around to a DSLR instead of a old film SLR
b/c its the lens that makes the biggest difference

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
just my opinion

I bought the XTi for my wife (Christmas present). However, I'm thinking the Xt would've been the better choice - she doesn't really need 10MP. Anyway, it's an excellent camera.

jimmymac

VIP Member
I have the IS lens on mine and its fantastic, the image stabiliser is especially useful when using the lens at its full focal length. However if you have the tripod you can hopefully get away with not needing it.

I have the same camera (although here its the Eos 400D) and its been superb, if you check the link in my sig you'll see a lot of the pics I took with the 70-300 lens.

Hoping to get a macro lens next and potentially something a bit better for my landscapes :)

MBGraphics

VIP Member
welcome to the XTi club OMEGA :D
I have one also but with the Sigma version of that lense (70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro)

You definatly wont be dissapointed with your decision ;) Ive had mine since the end of september and absolutly love it.

You can see some of my shots here to kinda get an idea of what ive been able to do with it so far, the hockey and car shots are all taken with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 though, but the rest is all with the sigma lense (which is almost exactly the same quality of your 75-300.
here's the link if you want a look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mb-photography/

Oh, and here is one of THE best Canon forums out there, you should DEFINATLY check this out if you havnt before, TONS of info and help (and examples): http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Enjoy!
-Mike

Geoff

VIP Member
just my opinion
It's only a $100 difference or so anyways, which really isn't that much. Besides, with the deal BB was having it was cheaper to get the XTi with the almost free lens, then it would be to get the XT and a higher quality lens.

welcome to the XTi club OMEGA :D
I have one also but with the Sigma version of that lense (70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro)

You definatly wont be dissapointed with your decision ;) Ive had mine since the end of september and absolutly love it.

You can see some of my shots here to kinda get an idea of what ive been able to do with it so far, the hockey and car shots are all taken with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 though, but the rest is all with the sigma lense (which is almost exactly the same quality of your 75-300.
here's the link if you want a look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mb-photography/

Oh, and here is one of THE best Canon forums out there, you should DEFINATLY check this out if you havnt before, TONS of info and help (and examples): http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Enjoy!
-Mike
Thanks! I will check out those sites, and thanks for the forum link!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For those suggesting to go with the XT/350 rather than the XTi/400, while the arguement that the extra resolution isnt noticeable is valid, the XTi/400 comes with a dust removal unit -- sure you can do it manually but how many beginners can and/or are comfortable doing their own sensor dusting? ;)

MBGraphics

VIP Member
That is true Praetor, but the SD unit doesnt work very well at all. You end up having to clean the sensor yourself anyway (unless you like the dust-bunnies :p)

Even with that said, Im still glad I got the XTi over the XT

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That is true Praetor, but the SD unit doesnt work very well at all. You end up having to clean the sensor yourself anyway (unless you like the dust-bunnies
True but it works reasonably well enough for a beginner and covers (generally), the first few months worth while you get warmed up to the camera.