my newly built computer kills the other computers internet connections

jwhert

ok, i built me a computer and when i hook it up at home, its wired into the home wireless router, i have a connection no problem, but the home computer thats hooked up to the router and my dads laptop that has a wireless connection neither one of them get a good connection, it just lags real bad for them, as soon as i disable mine their connection is good again, also, if im on my laptop wirelessly we can all be on no problem, as soon as my new computer is turned on though, we all get a very slow internet except my computer is still fast as can be

what could be causing this, it wasnt really a problem for me until now because i cant be on the computer unless no one else is on a computer

patrickv

your computer is a bully :p

very helpful

anyways, i know when a pc is fully loaded with viruses that can spead across the network can sometimes cause other connection to fail, and you can even fail to ping also..., are you sure there's no fishy program on it that is accessing the internet ? am only guessing but i maybe wrong

jwhert

very helpful

anyways, i know when a pc is fully loaded with viruses that can spead across the network can sometimes cause other connection to fail, and you can even fail to ping also..., are you sure there's no fishy program on it that is accessing the internet ? am only guessing but i maybe wrong

well, when i turn utorrent off theirs get a little faster, i knew that would happen from the start, but then there's still doesnt get as fast as when i turn mine off

i cant find any thing accessing the internet, ran adaware, spybot and my norton internet security, they only found a few things and deleting them didnt fix any thing

and i cant find any thing in my list of running processes

G25r8cer

well, when i turn utorrent off theirs get a little faster, i knew that would happen from the start, but then there's still doesnt get as fast as when i turn mine off

i cant find any thing accessing the internet, ran adaware, spybot and my norton internet security, they only found a few things and deleting them didnt fix any thing

and i cant find any thing in my list of running processes

Same thing happens for me with azureus. My internet on both computers gets slow. Torrent's take alot of your bandwidth!!

SirKenin

banned
You don't happen to have a Gigabyte board do you? I've seen that happen a couple of times with the built on nic on Gigabyte's boards. The only way around it was swapping out the board.

You don't happen to have a Gigabyte board do you? I've seen that happen a couple of times with the built on nic on Gigabyte's boards. The only way around it was swapping out the board.

Or going to Walmart and buying a PCI NIC for $10... Be practical at least...

cohen

Well one it can be viruses!!!!!

Also depends what else it downloading on your computer! Have you tried a direct LAN cable into the hub or anything, and see if it still kills the network.

What OS do you have????

dznutz

perhaps that computer has adware. is it possible for you to check the bandwith of that computer - specifically how many outbound/incomming connections it is making once that computer connects to the net. if your firewall doesn't have that feature then try peer guardian: http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

as for torrents each peer you connect to counts as 1 tcp connection. commercial routers have a ceiling limit on the number of connections - usually around 200 or so. so when 2 computers are using torrents on the network it'll slow things down.

giarc

Internet speed

Two things are wrong here,
1. utorrent
2. Contingency ratio for your internet ratio not enough to support the amt of putters on your network.