my old 8600 as a PhyisX card?

acsam

ok so i have this old 8600GT 256MB back from 2007 sitting next to my desk. i am wondering if i can use that card as a PhyisX card and let my GTX 460 do the rest of the GPUing. someone told me that i do not need to have a SLI board all i have to do is just plug my 8600GT to a PCI-E x1 slot ( the smallest slot) and ill be good to go and dont even need to get a bridge for it.
im planing on doing that but also do i need to download and install the drivers for the 8600GT?

also i have a 9800GT 512MB can i use that card and plug it into a PCI-E x1 slot aswell and download the drivers for that too?

CardboardSword

Just out of curiousity, how do you physically make the card fit in the PCI-E x1 slot? I've never heard of it being done. I would think an adapter, but then wouldn't that make the card sit too high to fit properly out the back of the case?

acsam

i think a PCI-E x1 is the smallest PCI-e slot right? the cards have in the close to the back of the card ( the back i mean the part you connect your video out put) if you look int eh pins it has a space in and you plug that in the PCI-e x1 slot i think.

linkin

VIP Member
The 8600 is too slow to be of any real use as a physx card. In the demanding games that need it it will just slow you down, you need something on the level of a GTS 250 for PhysX

The 9800GT would work.

AcetheGamer

The 8600GT is too weak to render physx better off with the GTX 460 doing the physx. It wouldn't hurt to try though and compare results w/ and w/o the 8600GT. But you got to figure out first how to insert a pci-ex16 card on a pci-ex1 slot :p

Aastii

VIP Member
The 8600 is too slow to be of any real use as a physx card. In the demanding games that need it it will just slow you down, you need something on the level of a GTS 250 for PhysX

The 9800GT would work.

8600Gt is about the lowest you can go for a Physx card, it isn't too slow at all, just obviously not as good as a higher end card. A GT240 will work perfectly fine for a Physx card, sat in between a 9600GT/9800GT. To say a GTS250 is the minimum, then to say a 9800Gt would work sort of highlights this, seeing as how a GTS250 is the exact same card as the 9800GTX+

I wouldn't use either, if you can even use either, because your 460 will be better than either.

I say if, because chances are your PCIe x1 slot is a solid rectangle, rather than open at the back. To fit the longer x16 card in, you will have to have the back of the PCIe x1 slot open, so the excess fins aren't blocked by the plastic. You can modify the socket by cutting out the back, but don't surprised if you damage the PCIe lane, or the motherboard itself in the process, so I would strongly recomend against doing it

acsam

8600Gt is about the lowest you can go for a Physx card, it isn't too slow at all, just obviously not as good as a higher end card. A GT240 will work perfectly fine for a Physx card, sat in between a 9600GT/9800GT. To say a GTS250 is the minimum, then to say a 9800Gt would work sort of highlights this, seeing as how a GTS250 is the exact same card as the 9800GTX+

I wouldn't use either, if you can even use either, because your 460 will be better than either.

I say if, because chances are your PCIe x1 slot is a solid rectangle, rather than open at the back. To fit the longer x16 card in, you will have to have the back of the PCIe x1 slot open, so the excess fins aren't blocked by the plastic. You can modify the socket by cutting out the back, but don't surprised if you damage the PCIe lane, or the motherboard itself in the process, so I would strongly recomend against doing it

yeah i did a look on it and i even open up my case and and look at my mobo it wont fit at.

i should of just gotten a AMD SLI mobo in the first place. oh well it was worth a try would of been cool. just hate to see my cards sit next to my desk and not be in use by any PC.