My PC fan stops and starts over and over

Tash

Hi all,

I will start by saying sorry that this will be a long post. I have a problem with my PC. The fan will start then die, over and over. I HARDLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS, only the basic of the basic IT things. I was given this PC with good intentions from somebody, but the person they got it from “built” it, but he does things for people to go back. The things he does only last X amount of time and you have to call him back. I don’t have the funds right now to go back to him, and I don’t want to, I’d rather go back to a dusty old XP PC that is in my garage. I mainly use this PC for work-related things, even though I’d like to use it for gaming too, but I think the machine might not like the gaming. So, if anybody can help me figure out what is wrong in simpler terms I’d appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance.20210623_115629-min.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Actually sounds like a motherboard issue or even a fan issue. Try replacing the cpu fan and see if it still does it. If so, then its something with the motherboard. I don't think it has anything to do with the person that built it. To be honest, there really isn't anything a person can do to a system to make it break down and have the owner go back to them. Except maybe if they use inferior parts, which is a no no anyway. I've been building systems for 20 years and have never had a call back due to my error.

Tash

Actually sounds like a motherboard issue or even a fan issue. Try replacing the cpu fan and see if it still does it. If so, then its something with the motherboard. I don't think it has anything to do with the person that built it. To be honest, there really isn't anything a person can do to a system to make it break down and have the owner go back to them. Except maybe if they use inferior parts, which is a no no anyway. I've been building systems for 20 years and have never had a call back due to my error.
Okay I'll try that. Would I be able to take the fan from my old +- year 2000 PC or does the fan need to be a certain type to fit? Yes, at least most of the time that person will use inferior parts. I've seen how careless this person is, that is why I'd rather trying doing it myself.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The old cooler must support the socket of the new pc. 2000 sounds like socket 478 and anything newer is different type of mounting. If you don't feel comfortable, you can always take it to a repair shop and they should only charge a small diagnostic fee to determine if its a fan or motherboard issue.

Tash

The old cooler must support the socket of the new pc. 2000 sounds like socket 478 and anything newer is different type of mounting. If you don't feel comfortable, you can always take it to a repair shop and they should only charge a small diagnostic fee to determine if its a fan or motherboard issue.
Okay great! Thank you so much for your help. :)

beers

Staff member
Does it spin freely by hand or does it stop almost immediately when you let go?