My PC hangs when I insert a CD in the DVD Writer

Pacquiao

Help! My PC freezes/hangs (keyboard, mouse won't does not respond) everytime I insert a CD in my LITEON DVD Writer, but it works perfectly well on DVDs. In order for it to read CDs, the CD has to be in the tray when I start windows. I have already loaded the drivers (VIA IDE controller) needed for it to run.

I have a ECS PT880 Pro-A motherboard, Pentium D 805, 512 DDR2 Ram, Seagate SATA 80 gig hd, Windows XP SP2, LITEON DVD Writer, LG CD ROM, and an old Fujitsu 6 gig HD.

Thanks for your much needed suggestions.

PC eye

banned
Like many others that dvd burner will "only read" dvd not cd or cd-r/rw media. A Sony model dvd burner used here will only read from dvd media except for one exception namely a Windows installation disk. You are probably seeing the "invalid media type" or similar error message. Simply use the LG cd drive for cds.

spacedude89

Like many others that dvd burner will "only read" dvd not cd or cd-r/rw media. A Sony model dvd burner used here will only read from dvd media except for one exception namely a Windows installation disk. You are probably seeing the "invalid media type" or similar error message. Simply use the LG cd drive for cds.

I'm not quite sure what your talking about here, DVD burners and the Liteon DVD burner are backwards combatable with CDs.

As for your problem, I've heard that add in PCI-IDE cards can cause problems like this, Are you using one of these? Ill keep looking for other solutions also.

EDIT:Also, Be sure your using the latest driver's for your drive.

EDIT TWO:Also, Take a look at this article, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=132882

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
hahaha. There isn't a DVD burner in existence that isn't backwards compatible with CDs. The only time you'll have a problem is if the burner is toast, and then you need to chuck it and buy a new one.

And, of course, if people bother to read the OP, he's not getting messages, the computer is locking up. It makes me wonder if the autoplay isn't the problem. Disable autoplay and then insert the CD. See what happens. We can then go from there.

PC eye

banned
A windows installation disk is not a burned disk!

You mean you just figured that out? It's still a cd that can be read on a dvd burner. Blank media like cd-r and cd-rws are another matter as well as other software cds. The "-" and "+" type disks will also make a difference since cds and dvds are two different types of disks to start off with. Some drives may only be able to read cd+rs and not cd-rs.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You mean you just figured that out? It's still a cd that can be read on a dvd burner. Blank media like cd-r and cd-rws are another matter as well as other software cds. The "-" and "+" type disks will also make a difference since cds and dvds are two different types of disks to start off with. Some drives may only be able to read cd+rs and not cd-rs.

OH, My God, I am glad you let me know that. (You really havent been doing this long have you)! Was that Google or Yahoo!

PC eye

banned
OH, My God, I am glad you let me know that. (You really havent been doing this long have you)! Was that Google or Yahoo!

I have probably been doing this longer then you have been alive. You seem to be the one that needs a Yahoo or Google search. Figure that one out. :p

SirKenin

banned
/me spins a spliff..... because that's probably the only way that thought process is going to make any bloody sense.

lol

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I have probably been doing this longer then you have been alive. You seem to be the one that needs a Yahoo or Google search. Figure that one out.

Why dont you send me one of those extra wide IDE cables you got!

roflmao!!!! bwahahahahaha...

Now THAT was good... Oh man, my cheeks hurt now. :D

Well this thread deteriorated real fast. Only comment I'll make is "Get back on topic".

DCIScouts

VIP Member

Ok, CD+R's don't exist. Never have never will.

As for the original problem, it sounds like it could be the autoplay as mentioned earlier, but I would think it would do it with DVDs as well, then. You said that you updated the drivers, did you do the firmware as well? It sounds like the problem is with the drive itself, like something got scrambled somewhere... So, probably disabling the autoplay will fix it anyway. :D

Pacquiao

Thanks for all your help guys. But I just found out the solution.

I just uninstalled the Nero InCd program and my DVD writer works fine now.

I wonder why that program made my DVD writer crazy.

gurra92

Well, well, I can add that every time I put a broken CD/DVD (broken by burning-failure) in my DVD-burner, Windows hangs. When I take it out, Windows starts working as normal...