My PC is shutting down ITSELF.

arjhay

Hi. I am using Windows XP... when i open my PC, and after 2 minutes, my PC automatically shuts down itself. I am using a public computer right now because I can't use my own PC because after opening it.. and after 2 minutes it just shut down ITSELF. Please Help...

Grimulus

Yeah man, I've had that problem. I also use XP pro.

If you have just installed a driver, it could be the problem. I installed a modem driver and my comp started doing that crap. About every 2 minutes it would reboot itself. I solved the problem by rolling back the driver in safe mode.
If it is shutting all the way down you may need to ask someone else. Try to open windows in safe mode(probably F8 on the bootup) and anything you have done beforehand remove it. You may be able to get a copy of a stinger type thing to see if your comp is infected with anything. When in safe mode and it still shuts down/reboots, ask someone else. I'm to good with this computer st uff.

arjhay

Grimulus said:
Yeah man, I've had that problem. I also use XP pro.

If you have just installed a driver, it could be the problem. I installed a modem driver and my comp started doing that crap. About every 2 minutes it would reboot itself. I solved the problem by rolling back the driver in safe mode.
If it is shutting all the way down you may need to ask someone else. Try to open windows in safe mode(probably F8 on the bootup) and anything you have done beforehand remove it. You may be able to get a copy of a stinger type thing to see if your comp is infected with anything. When in safe mode and it still shuts down/reboots, ask someone else. I'm to good with this computer st uff.

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. So, if i turn on my PC i'll press F8 to safe mode?! which one i'll pick to run safe mode because there are 4 thigns that you need to pick and i don't know which one to pick... I think we've installed something before... but it was ages ago.. it was the mcafee anti virus and the creative webcam..

So I am going to click F8 for the safe mode?am i right? please tell me step by step. thanks.

Lanther

hit F8 right before xp starts up it will give u a menu with several options on it choose start computer in safe mode when windows starts in safe mode it will ask you if you want to start in safe mode or if you want to do a system restore. I'd try the restore and set it back to a point before you were having this problem and see if that helps. Last guys system I worked on that had this problem I ended up having to do a a clean format to get it to work right.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Is there a msg box that pops up before it shutsdown (i.e., MS Blaster)

2. Heat problems?

3. To make sure you dont miss safemode, just start pushing F8 at 1-second intervals as soon as you turn the computer on :)

Sophocles

VIP Member
2. Heat problems?

Check your CPU cooling, if the heatsink is choked with dust or the fan is no longer working properly, that will cause your system to shut down.

arjhay

thanks a lot guys for the quick reply... my PC is okay now. I just put it in "safe mode" and as of now it is working as normal.. thanks again.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
"Safe Mode", isnt "normal" dude... you should really look into it: since it works ok in safe mode, I'd say it isnt a heat issue but more of a corrupted installation issue :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Run a virus/spyware scan to rule out that possibility
2. Actually verify that it isnt a heat issue (i.e., check the temps)
3. Anything you've installed prior to this problem starting?

arjhay

Praetor said:
1. Run a virus/spyware scan to rule out that possibility
2. Actually verify that it isnt a heat issue (i.e., check the temps)
3. Anything you've installed prior to this problem starting?

you are right praetor, my PC still shut down ITSELF. i thought it would be normal after the safe mode thing.. but then, after a week... it is still shutting down... helpppppp! :(

I have a mcafee virus.. and it tells that my PC don't have a virus.
HOW DO I CHECK THE TEMPS?
I've installed the mcafee b4 this happens..

Grimulus

yeah, whoever said the thing about the system restore. good thinking. i totally forgot about that. be sure and do a system restore, and if you don't have it, when the comp is fixed be sure to turn it on and restore...it's a life saver. i've also had this problem with microsoft word and had to delete the *.dat files. i'm sure about 99.9% this isn't the case however. but yeah if you aren't losing anything you REALLY need, i would do a clean format. sounds like things are screwed up pretty good. get a good spyware program like spybot 1.3, and an adware remove program like lavasoft's ad-aware and be sure to run an anti virus in safe mode that is updated.
alright, gotta go to the doctor. laters
hope you get things working!

Flash_AAA

Well if all things fail download Ace Utilities (trial version but full) if its a registry problem it may fix it. Just remember whenever you use a program make sure you make a backup in system restore. Thats the good thing about spybot search and destroy it automatically makes a backup just in case some softeware embedded with spyware fails but spybot does a great job :)

arjhay

Grimulus said:
yeah, whoever said the thing about the system restore. good thinking. i totally forgot about that. be sure and do a system restore, and if you don't have it, when the comp is fixed be sure to turn it on and restore...it's a life saver. i've also had this problem with microsoft word and had to delete the *.dat files. i'm sure about 99.9% this isn't the case however. but yeah if you aren't losing anything you REALLY need, i would do a clean format. sounds like things are screwed up pretty good. get a good spyware program like spybot 1.3, and an adware remove program like lavasoft's ad-aware and be sure to run an anti virus in safe mode that is updated.
alright, gotta go to the doctor. laters
hope you get things working!

hi grimulus, what do you mean by the term "system restore?" and yeah, i have the mcafee anti virus and it is always updated and i run it always and it tells me that they havn't found any virus so i don't know why my PC keeps on shutting down. :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Right click on My Computer
2. Goto Properties
3. Goto System Restore tab
4. "That"
:)

nitemistress

Another ShutDown Victim

Hi
I have spent the past 4 hours TRYING to run a full Stinger scan, Norton, ad aware and even trend micro's online scan. Not ONE of them will complete before my computer shuts down and I'm taking a chance on getting registered and this in before disappearing again.

My system info:

Windows XP PRO
AMD Athlon(tm) processor 1.4 GHz
BIOS: VIA694-42302e31 Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Bus Type: PCI,ISA
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
512MB Ram with 31% currently in use
Hard Disk: 40GB, 120GB
Video: 1024 x 768 in 32 bit, NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX MX 400 Ver 5.1

I apologize if any of that is useless but hey, I am for the most part self taught and only on a computer for just over 4 years.
Fans are clean, plus have external fans in area to keep even cooler than the 4 internal ones. All system checks: virus scan, defrags, etc are current *saturday*.

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and please, if you start talking bios or registry or anything in that general area, use newbese. Thanks in advance!!